What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone rent movies from itunes?

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at renting a few movies for an upcoming trip (so the kids have something to watch). When I look at the restrictions on the rentals i dont think I'll be renting from itunes. You can keep a movie for up to 30 days before watching but can only watch it in a 24 hr period?
That's not very convenient. If I rent a movie and the kids watch on the plane, then I can only watch it again until the next day?:(

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have before on my ipod and then just hooked it up to the tv to watch. Haven't bothered with it for ipad though.

iFreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was looking at renting a few movies for an upcoming trip (so the kids have something to watch). When I look at the restrictions on the rentals i dont think I'll be renting from itunes. You can keep a movie for up to 30 days before watching but can only watch it in a 24 hr period?
That's not very convenient. If I rent a movie and the kids watch on the plane, then I can only watch it again until the next day?:(

Personally I don't care for the restrictions either so I just don't rent. There are several free tv episodes and movies on iTunes though. I just got the first episode of Planet Earth HD for free. I usually will buy or use Netflix though. No renting for me.

landlockedaaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
can't find Movie

I rented and downloaded a movie straight to my ipad last night, and I can't find it anywhere! Anyone got any clues?

rob the elder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had a similar experience with rental so I choose to purchase them in Itunes on my host computer, then sync them to the IPAD. They show up in the videos application and the wife can watch them at her leisure.

You can get TV shows for $2-3 each, down load them to Itunes and then sync them to the IPAD and they can watch them as long or as often as they wish.

There are ways of importing standard DVDs into Itunes as well. Basically any video that you can get into MPEG4 and is less than about 2MB can be imported into Itunes and then synced to the IPAD or AppleTV for later viewing.

CGPanama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sincere,

Not directly, but apps like Handbrake can quickly convert your DVDs to import into iTunes. I've done this frequently for the kids so that we do not need to carry the DVDs with us on trips. I'll load them on my MacBook Pro for hotel room viewing. Now I can throw them on my iPad.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I rented a .99 movie but have not transferred to my iPad yet. I'm not crazy about the 24 hour issue. Going to load my fav DVD to iTunes and watch them if need on a longer trip, or for the kids.

landlockedaaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I figured out my answer. Yes, it's in the video app but there's a tab at the top for rentals that doesn't show up until you have a rental. It was only showing my music videos at first glance.

I gotta say, watching video on this thing kind of rules.

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea directv implemented the same 24hr policy a couple of years ago and since then I haven't bought any ppv movies. With little kids it's impossible to watch anything in 24hrs let alone a long ass movie. So no rentals. I may get netflix though, that is...if I ever get my 3G.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea directv implemented the same 24hr policy a couple of years ago and since then I haven't bought any ppv movies. With little kids it's impossible to watch anything in 24hrs let alone a long ass movie. So no rentals. I may get netflix though, that is...if I ever get my 3G.

NetFlix is close to THE KILLER APP for the iPad.

My wife says it is the blockbuster killer as we do not go to Blockbuster anymore. She streams at least one show a day from NetFlix. We also get a couple of DVDs each week for our $9 a month subscription.

No need to buy cable TV shows with NetFlix.

Castiel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use MelodyCan. It is the best, easiest and fastest converter I found. You can try it)

LadyPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in a little different situation....can i download a rental at McDonald's (I have no other access except sporadic edge network...like -3G) and then go home and watch the movie later? I bought the iPad for the Internet access at $30.....which is cheaper than a phone bill out here in the boonies. I have no phone, tv reception or Internet access and I'm told that I should be thrilled to have electricity! I have only synced once with the laptop and that was the day I bought it....I had to take the laptop along with the charger and wait for the only receptacle just to get the iPad to work. The booth at mcdonald's looked like a telethon center.

Most reactions

Latest posts