What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone addicted to buying cases for their iPad 2

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have one from Oberon Design (leather compendium style) and another from Treegloo (book-bound Moleskine style), which is enough for me (iPad 1). I use the Treegloo in a more corporate setting, and the Oberon "on the weekends". (I also have a Zaggskin on the back of the device.)

OP
M

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You sound just like me. I have invisible shield (Zagg) on the front and back of my iPad 2 then I covered the back with a hard case customized to work with my black leather smart cover.

harleydude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had otterbox defender on my ipad 1. liked it enough to make me wait for the ipad 2 defender case. provides full protection for the entire ipad. jmho.

OP
M

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just revived my shipping info for the Marware CEO hybrid case. Should be here next week. I'm excited. I'll post pictures when I get it in with a review.

AutoTraveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Kensington case with the included Bluetooth keyboard. The first one I bought, I paid $100 locally at an electronics superstore. I found it on amazon.com for $59 new and $43 "lightly used." While tempted to buy new, after returning the first one and getting my $100 back, I bought the lightly used one, which turned out to be refurbished. I love it for the times I need a keyboard and it looks as if it will provide my iPad the protection it needs. The refurbished case works fine and I can think of many things I can do with the almost $60 I saved, including buying more accessories for my iPad 2.

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been tempted to buy heaps of them but all the ones i see range from $20 to $50, . and wont be 100% if i like them.

How ever I am heading to BAngkok in June, So i will be going to china town and all the cheap ass places to buy as many covers and accessories I can.
probably for a fraction of the price.

I have a cheap ebay case at the moment which it will sit in, until i get somthing new.
I also have the smart coover but of course that only protects the front.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to know if anyone has the same issue with buying cases. I have three on them right now. I can't seem to find the right case. All of them seem to have specific features that I'm looking for but not everything I want.

What is it you want ... really? Be specific.

iPad2 is thinner, a bit lighter.

Guessing, you want protection on the back against scratches and abrasions.
Not a lot you can do about dropping ... except don't. The corners and edges are most vulnerable.

The Smart Cover offers two stand (support) angles ... one for typing, the other for hands free viewing (currently landscape orientation). Yes, they can stand exactly vertical on a table (a bit unstable).

Then there is the magnetic on/off feature ... really slick and convenient.

Finally, some think extra protection of the Gorilla Glass cover is important

Anything else?

Let's here your wants and needs.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NVRENUF said:
How ever I am heading to BAngkok in June, So i will be going to china town and all the cheap ass places to buy as many covers and accessories I can. probably for a fraction of the price.

It's a truism that you generally do get the quality you pay for: you can find lots of inexpensive stuff (if only because of the exchange rate from the baht), but you also have to consider the durability, and how quickly they will fall apart. (I've been to these markets in Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Malaysia, etc many times.)

Last edited:

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Perfect protection options for iPad2

Apple made the iPad2 thinner and lighter ... thus EZr to handle.

They offer the Smart Cover ... converts to triangular stand (two positions) ... also includes the clever magnetic on/off feature.

We could get the blue one (out of stock at the time). Wanted protection immediately ... saw the Targus VuScape on the shelf. Took it home for evaluation. Turns out it is really nice looking ... excellent protection front, back and corners ... includes built-in stand (3 postions) ... very convenient and useful. Adds a bit of thickness and weight ... but very useable and comfortable to hold. An extra pillow on the lap is great to support the weight.

The only thing extra I wanted was a great keyboard ... as I write a lot. So I picked up the Apple wireless keyboard. As it turns out I only need the keyboard at a desk...best writing position. The rest of the time (which is a lot is lounging) ... then if the keyboard were attached it would be a PITA.

I haven't found the need to add the Gorilla Glass protective film. But, I understand kids and accidents. Whoops, damn.

Didn't included the magnetic on/off ... so I made a slit in the inside cover and slipped a magnet under. Now I have auto on/off when the cover is opened.

I find it hard to beat this combo ... but I keep reviewing the comments from all you nice people ... Will keep looking ... but for now this is the best combo I have found. ($40 invested to date)

OP
M

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NVRENUF said:
I have been tempted to buy heaps of them but all the ones i see range from $20 to $50, . and wont be 100% if i like them.

How ever I am heading to BAngkok in June, So i will be going to china town and all the cheap ass places to buy as many covers and accessories I can.
probably for a fraction of the price.

I have a cheap ebay case at the moment which it will sit in, until i get somthing new.
I also have the smart coover but of course that only protects the front.

You have to check out the you tube video of the fake smart cover. It looks authentic.

OP
M

Matt1226

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
Apple made the iPad2 thinner and lighter ... thus EZr to handle.

They offer the Smart Cover ... converts to triangular stand (two positions) ... also includes the clever magnetic on/off feature.

We could get the blue one (out of stock at the time). Wanted protection immediately ... saw the Targus VuScape on the shelf. Took it home for evaluation. Turns out it is really nice looking ... excellent protection front, back and corners ... includes built-in stand (3 postions) ... very convenient and useful. Adds a bit of thickness and weight ... but very useable and comfortable to hold. An extra pillow on the lap is great to support the weight.

The only thing extra I wanted was a great keyboard ... as I write a lot. So I picked up the Apple wireless keyboard. As it turns out I only need the keyboard at a desk...best writing position. The rest of the time (which is a lot is lounging) ... then if the keyboard were attached it would be a PITA.

I haven't found the need to add the Gorilla Glass protective film. But, I understand kids and accidents. Whoops, damn.

Didn't included the magnetic on/off ... so I made a slit in the inside cover and slipped a magnet under. Now I have auto on/off when the cover is opened.

I find it hard to beat this combo ... but I keep reviewing the comments from all you nice people ... Will keep looking ... but for now this is the best combo I have found. ($40 invested to date)

Look at the Marware CEO hybrid case. It is shipping now and looks to have very good stock features. I can't wait to get it.

Lnam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ohhh, yes! I had three yesterday, but returned two. I got the smart cover the day iPad 2 was released. I was waiting for someone to release a back cover to go with the smart cover. The ones I found were about 40.00, I can't see paying 80.00 for smart cover and back cover. I got the élan for best buy for 40.00, it fit back and covered front and was very light. I found it to be poorly made for $40 bucks, threads were starting to pull loose around edges. I found the speck case at target Friday ($40) rubberized, protects all over and folds back like the smart cover. I will use this for now, but I know I'll buy another in about ten to twelve months if I last that long. Hehe,

Broadwinged

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha. I think Apple have done a great job with the Smart Cover but it has left a lot of us with headaches of how to protect the reverse. Maybe it's time to stop treating it like a baby... but keeping it in top condition does also allow for easy resale when the next one comes out!

Sent from my iPad using iPF
Sheesh, I don't even have my iPad 2 yet and I've already bought the smart cover the rear cover on ebay and the keen pocket....:eek:

Jimv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got my Zoogue case in today. So far, I really like it. It can be placed in almost any position, it's made of leather and smells really good.
My iPad fits into it very well and it has adequate padding without being too thick. Overall I think I made a very good choice.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
***update*** So now I have a casemate barely there, a zaggmate that'll be here Tuesday, and a switcheasy canvas. I just might have a problem. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts