What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anybody Interested In Starting A Petition About Keeping The Orientation Lock Button ?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Holding the volume down rocker for a second or two essentially mutes the device anyhow.

Which is a real pain when you are just trying to lower the volume a bit. You need to do it in increments to avoid muting...

yeah I hate that...sadly that hasn't been removed....at least not in the beta...you still will mute if you want to lower the volume.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since I always use the iPad in landscape mode I rarely switch that button. I'd rather have a lock switch that keeps the iPad from going to sleep or something.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Odd of apple to duplicate effort, especially as the existing method works perfectly well.
I'm with Gruber on this, the iPad is mainly for visual media so the emphasis should be on visual controls not audio.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the screen lock switch a lot. I will definitely miss it. The volume rocker mutes fast enough. The software screen lock is multiple taps and swipes away.

A petition will do no good. Steve knows best. What we think doesn't matter. If you disagree, you're just doing it wrong. I'm sure its to keep things consistent with the iPhone4 for developers.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems to me that since this switch is obviously just a software input to the system, it would be a simple task for Apple to simply allow the user to decide what to do with it. Add one more line to the settings applet with a choice. This is why people end up jail breaking their devices.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Holding the volume down rocker for a second or two essentially mutes the device anyhow.

Which is a real pain when you are just trying to lower the volume a bit. You need to do it in increments to avoid muting...

yeah I hate that...sadly that hasn't been removed....at least not in the beta...you still will mute if you want to lower the volume.

Seriously? I hope they remove the down for mute on the final. Seems daft to have buttons next to each other that can do the same thing. Will be annoying if that feature remains.

chuckz28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As long as someone can come up with an app to change the functionality back it won't bother me but I much prefer having it as an orientation lock. No need for two volume controls. I'm new to ios so I'm not sure about the limitations of hardware controls.

OP
J

jimt29

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So far it looks like a divided camp. Ideally it would be user configurable but Apple has already responded with a resounding "NO".

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I probably won't update due to the lock button. I use mine often. I wish they had an option for people like me who like the way it is, an for those who want the change.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm guessing this is about consistency with the iPhone 4 which accomplishes the same function without a hardware switch. Apple wants all devices to behave the same way as much as possible. Your preference is irrelevant.

RussW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is it that Apple thinks they can just change something that their product was delivered with; without allowing the consumer who bought the device to choose to keep the feature as it was delivered? I can understand product enhancements with a new firmware; but when you make changes to how the buttons work I'd say they are stepping outside of the boundaries of what is 'fair' to the consumer. Why can't they just make the decrease volume go to mute if you double-click on it; and the volume re-set by pressing the increase vol twice?? Seems like a simple solution (to me)...

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why is it that Apple thinks they can just change something that their product was delivered with; without allowing the consumer who bought the device to choose to keep the feature as it was delivered? I can understand product enhancements with a new firmware; but when you make changes to how the buttons work I'd say they are stepping outside of the boundaries of what is 'fair' to the consumer. Why can't they just make the decrease volume go to mute if you double-click on it; and the volume re-set by pressing the increase vol twice?? Seems like a simple solution (to me)...

Don't quote me on this but I believe the intention was always to have it as a mute switch but they couldn't until v4.x was ready.

Most reactions

Latest posts