What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any suggestions for new iPad user (word processor)

ColdFire8593

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know Apple has their own program but is there a better or comparable one out there that's a little less costly? After forking over the $ for the tablet and paying tuition this newly returning to school student is broke! Lol

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless you are willing to settle for a straight up text editor with out .doc compatibility, all the good apps cost. The few free ones have awful reviews, which means that using them will probably cost you more in frustration and time than any of the payed for apps.

On the other hand you can use Google Docs for free. It's not particularly powerful, and the web interface needs getting used to, but it works.

SC25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ColdFire8593 said:
I know Apple has their own program but is there a better or comparable one out there that's a little less costly? After forking over the $ for the tablet and paying tuition this newly returning to school student is broke! Lol

Hello, I try Docs to Go, QuickOffice and iWorks(that include Pages), and for me the best is Pages.

Pocketneo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am mostly a user of Excel files, and also struggled with which app to use. After some pocking around the web, I chose an app based on functionality for its app cost, and chose QuickOffice Connect HD. What made this one my choice was that it was $10 and I could easily move files from my pc to the iPad using a http address that they display to you in the app, as long as you are on the same wifi network (ie not internet, just local wifi) or using a document or file repository like GoogleDocs. But as I used it I found that it lacked in the ability to use large Excel files 2mb was one that I tested. I had to downsize my xls file to use it in this app. Also Freeze Panes, something that I use all the time was not available and simple functions were hard to use in their interface.

Quickoffice Connect do offer on their support website a feature request submission with ratings which allows use to suggest what you think should be added, but they don't upgrade their versions fast enough for you to take advantage of them. I personally think that that is because each new version on the app store causes an erase of their app ratings (current version) and so they may want to release slower to allow more reviews. That's just my opinion.

I may buy Docs2go hd because they have an app on the Blackberry too and they have freeze panes and the way they approach menu items is a bit nicer. Overall, I think neither of them are perfect. Would be awesome for Microsoft to offer it on the app store!

Most reactions

Latest posts