What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any non-Americans using VPN for Netfix, Hulu, BBC, etc?

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in Canada and want the video abilities that those in the US have. I know Netflix is coming to Canada sometime this Fall but I don't trust the selection we will have. Whatever info I can get may also be useful with the new Apple TV as long as it supports VPN.

So I'm wondering what other users experiences are with using VPN services (like Giganews etc) and US based websites or apps with video content (CBS, Hulu, Netflix, etc, even BBC in the UK).

Does it work well, streaming issues, worth the monthly VPN costs? etc. Any hiccups or is it pretty smooth sailing?

Or are there any other services other Canadians can recommend?

Thanks a million!

Big samm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
abc player and netflix works for me on my ipad... no lagging or slow downs.... pure streaming!! I got a invite from hulu plus but can't subscribe as i don't have a real credit card from the states... i got a prepaid visa from the states and hulu won't accept it! just get a good vpn provider with unlimited use and your good to go... just don't go with the free ones...

OP
lumberjak

lumberjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Big Samm, gives me a bit more confidence in going the VPN route.

lpechers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
USVideo.ca

I am using USVideo.ca.

They are not a VPN solution so there is no slow down, it does not affect traffic, it is unlimited and covers all devices on your home network. For $5/month it is a good deal.

They have instructions on how to get virtual Visa card working with Netflix. Worked fine for me.

They support Hulu Plus and other streaming services but you need a credit card with US address to subscribe through Hulu Plus invite...

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strong VPN works well in here even in Dominica. However don't expect hulu to work, it stutters. Netflix works fine.

AnnaM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use usa vpn account (vpn-account.com) to watch hulu outside the US. It works fine from Ukraine.

stiphy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just blogged about this on my blog ([...edited out blog address...], can't post a link since I just joined unfortunately but go to [...same edit...). I am going to blog in the future about how I got my router setup as well so that all my traffic comes from behind the VPN but I haven't gotten there yet. Anyway, hope the article helps!

[Moderator edit: Please; no promotion of websites, domains, company or services in any of the discussion forums. It's against the forum rules - please read them!]

Last edited by a moderator:

johnkim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I live in Canada and want the video abilities that those in the US have. I know Netflix is coming to Canada sometime this Fall but I don't trust the selection we will have. Whatever info I can get may also be useful with the new Apple TV as long as it supports VPN.

So I'm wondering what other users experiences are with using VPN services (like Giganews etc) and US based websites or apps with video content (CBS, Hulu, Netflix, etc, even BBC in the UK).

Does it work well, streaming issues, worth the monthly VPN costs? etc. Any hiccups or is it pretty smooth sailing?

Thanks a million!

I'm using UnoTelly.com right now and they have everything you mentioned except Netflix although it looks like they are working on it according to their Twitter feed.

It's $4.95 a month and no speed loss because it's not a VPN (i.e. doesn't reroute all your traffic because that's how it slows you down).

johnkim1989

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Thanks a million!

Hey buddy ! I live in canada too... Maybe you can come over and we can enjoy netflix together !!!!!! Okay Okay .......
Make an account with Netflix use any zip address from US and that should do the trick ! (It did for me). Register into any DNS services( I use UnoTelly - Watch your favorite TV shows and hundreds more even if you don't live in USA! ) and voila ! netflix right in CANADA !!! Also this website UnoTelly - Watch your favorite TV shows and hundreds more even if you don't live in USA! supports all devices you can think of and their monthly rate is very low. Also CBS is free !!!!
Could not get it to work ??? You are welcome to my place :D :D

Most reactions