What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any idea of the maximum watt charger an ipad can handle?

thirdsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have a few old ipads that dont have the usbc-connector. But I've noticed big speed improvements of using a 30w charger on the larger iPad 12.9 gen1 and gen2.

The charge speed is better on the ipad 9.7" and iPad mini, although they're nowhere near how fast it is on the ipad pro.

Is there are data around which tells you what the high watts a given iPad is capable of taking from a 30w charger using the USBc to lighting cable?

The reason why I ask is I want to get a car charger for my iPad mini satnav. With car chargers you really should get just the size you need and not any more. Because you could park up, turn the ignition off and the charger is draining the battery down fast without you realising.

My car charger is 15w, I put the ipad mini on a 30w home charger and the improvements were marginal. Which leads me to think that a 18w charger is the best the iPad mini can benefit from.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no maximum wattage. However, the iPad has a maximum charging rate (to protect the batteries). After a certain point more wattage capacity from the charger makes no difference.

Due to this and smaller batteries, older iPads won’t see as big an improvement with the newer higher wattage chargers.

Newer iPads will benefit from the higher wattage chargers; up to a point. Off brand supper chargers (if they exist), are probably a poor buy; both because they are unlikely to deliver much improvment, and because they may lack safety protections.

Best to stick with Apple’s or reputable third party devices. They are both safe, and unlikely to charge you for (pun intended) an overpowered charger. Within that group, get what you want, even the biggest.

OP
T

thirdsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’d go with 18 watts.
That's my gut feeling as well.

There is no maximum wattage. However, the iPad has a maximum charging rate (to protect the batteries). After a certain point more wattage capacity from the charger makes no difference.

Due to this and smaller batteries, older iPads won’t see as big an improvement with the newer higher wattage chargers.

Newer iPads will benefit from the higher wattage chargers; up to a point. Off brand supper chargers (if they exist), are probably a poor buy; both because they are unlikely to deliver much improvment, and because they may lack safety protections.

Best to stick with Apple’s or reputable third party devices. They are both safe, and unlikely to charge you for (pun intended) an overpowered charger. Within that group, get what you want, even the biggest.

I steer clear of knock off chargers that have the fake apple logo. But there is no reason to avoid good brands like belkin, griffin, anker, ravpower. The usb-c standards are set by an independant organisation and anyone who uses USBC has to comply with them (including Apple).

Apple chargers are just too expensive, there's a huge price difference between anker plugs and apple plugs.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I steer clear of knock off chargers that have the fake apple logo. But there is no reason to avoid good brands like belkin, griffin, anker, ravpower. The usb-c standards are set by an independant organisation and anyone who uses USBC has to comply with them (including Apple).

Apple chargers are just too expensive, there's a huge price difference between anker plugs and apple plugs.

Yes. I would include those brands under the heading of reputable third party devices. In the case of at least two of them, they are even Apple certified where specifically marketed as Apple accessories.

While the requirements for USB-C and other chargers are laid down and enforced by independent and government organizations; Apple often exceeds them in the safety specs. There have been several tear-downs of Apple chargers that show their attention to detail and over-engineering. This, and of course the brand/design tax, has something to do with the price.

The other mentioned manufacturers at least meet the requirements (and I don’t doubt also exceed them where prudence would suggest it). The ones to worry about are the corner cutting super cheap ones sold on Amazon and other sites; often with fake branding (as you said).

Most reactions

Latest posts