What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anti virus protection for iPad 2

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL sorry, but these threads always crack me up. Each app is sandboxed, meaning little to no interaction between them, therefore, no AV needed.

fgg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In simple words..... iOS doesn't need any antivirus.
Windows NEED very much the present of an antivirus.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's probably coming sooner than you think. For internet browsing there will come a time that attacks will occur.

As noted above, the "walled garden" design of iOS is a formidable barrier for any kind of virus/malware. You do, of course, pay a price for this design. It means that you cannot access the same file, for example, with different apps. Thus, if you have a document created by one app another app cannot modify that document. It must have a separate copy. You'll notice, for example, that photo album organizer apps must have their own copies of photos; they cannot "organize" albums of photos maintained by the iPad's "Camera Roll."

The greatest vulnerability of iOS to malware/viruses occurs when a device is jailbroken. But even then the vulnerability is relatively limited and the number of jailbroken iPads shrinks every day.

Last edited:

Lisirein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
As noted above, the "walled garden" design of iOS is a formidable barrier for any kind of virus/malware. You do, of course, pay a price for this design. It means that you cannot access the same file, for example, with different apps. Thus, if you have a document created by one app another app cannot modify that document. It must have a separate copy. You'll notice, for example, that photo album organizer apps must have their own copies of photos; they cannot "organize" albums of photos maintained by the iPad's "Camera Roll."

The greatest vulnerability of iOS to malware/viruses occurs when a device is jailbroken. But even then the vulnerability is relatively limited and the number of jailbroken iPads shrinks every day.

It meens that it saves it twice and takes the precious memory that i need so much?
Not to use any picture app only photoroll? That crashed
Can i stil backup online without saving twice on the ipad?

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps another windows user who can not let go of awefull windows environment and all the viruses and worms that carries.

bernardhoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You mean Apple iPad will not be prone to virus or hackers target to implant a virus? think it still too soon to say...

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps another windows user who can not let go of awefull windows environment and all the viruses and worms that carries.

Sorry, but if Iwere using the iPad for serious work I'd be more than willing to run a competent virus/malware protection package in return for a common file system that doesn't segregate files into separate silos. And that's one of the major reasons I don't. (And on my multiple Windows systems I haven't had a virus or malware infection in ten years.) I have no objection to the limitations imposed by iOS on the iPad because it's not a system I use to manage vast amounts of content. For those that have that requirement, I'd recommend a real computer.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shared file system space is one of the things we will almost definitely see in a future iOS release, however it will still not make all of the complainers happy. It will require some additional work for ensuring that no malicious payloads get transferred to your device, but from what I hear the OS is going to handle that for us.

It will be interesting to see how it's actually implemented.

Most reactions

Latest posts