What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another noobie

Varjak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, just joined the iPad Forums. I pre-ordered my iPad early enough to get it the day before they went on sale in the UK stores, so I've been playing with mine for a week so far.

First impressions: Fabulous user interface, a good selection of iPad apps (rather than just iPhone apps expanded), battery life is good (more than a day's use).

The biggest negative is the lack of file management - not being able to access files independently from the applications that create them. So, for example, if you want to send an email with an attachment you have to go into the app that you used to create the attachment and email from there. There are a couple of apps that help a bit (e.g. GoAruna, GoodReader) but the problem is still there.

I got the cheapest device (WiFi only, 16Gb) and I'm beginning to regret not spending the extra £100 to get the 3G version. But I've just bought a Zoom mobile wireless router and a pay-as-you-go 3G dongle from Vodafone, so I should be able to carry my own WiFi cloud around with me wherever I go (as long as I have 3G access). I'm planning to start trying this out later this week.

Interested to hear any tips from other iPadders :)

GailLA

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome. I know what you mean about files being app dependent. Maybe that will change someday as mobile os's evolve. Frankly, it is an old paradigm that goes back to PDA's. I won't be surprised to see independent file management in OS 5.

Let us know how your personal WiFi works out. I got the 3G model in the US and as you probably have heard AT&T really pulled a fast one on iPad owners here. I've got unlimited now, but if I stop it, I can't restart it. Not good.

Most reactions

Latest posts