What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Announces Kindle for the Mac, Says iPad Version is Next

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kindle-for-mac.jpg

Amazon issued a press release on March 18th announcing the launch of “Kindle for Macâ€, which is obtainable via a free download from ww.amazon.com/kindleformac, and possibly rather surprisingly at the same time stating that Kindle will also be coming to the iPad. Here’s a direct quote from the press release confirming the fact:
“Kindle books can now be read on the Kindle, Kindle DX, iPhone, iPod touch, Blackberry, PC and Mac, and soon the iPad.â€
It’s interesting to see the different ways that various tech websites have interpreted the news of Kindle coming to the iPad, although the general consensus seems to be that it’s a very smart move by Amazon.

For example, ItProPortal.com sees it as Amazon attempting to maintain the loyalty and custom of Kindle users who might have been tempted away by the bright shiny iPad. If they’re going to go anyway, make sure they take a piece of you with them, or so the theory goes! But what do actual iPad-owners-to-be think? I’m guessing they’re probably just happy to have the choice of another reader on the iPad alongside Apple iBooks, especially one as good as Kindle, simple as that.

By Maura Sutton
www.iPadForums.net
{Source: TGDaily.com, ITProPortal}

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Their not dumb...they want to make money in all ways possible...so even if they don't sell as many kindle devices as a result of the iPad they will still sell books which is what they are trying to accomplish! Why do you think they were talking about giving kindles for free to prime members!

iPAD@UVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the news I have been waiting for. I use the Kindle app on my Touch as my only way of reading and bought a iPAD specifically for reading on it's larger screen. I will look at the Apple Bookstore and use it if the interface is nice but for now, the Kindle app has become my only reader replacing both eReader and the B&N app.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is how it should be, competition is good. It will improve the quality of the readers and hopefully bring down the price.

I am hoping that there will be many many ways to purchase books, for one I would like to be able to read a book once and then have it vanish from my device. Paying $2.99 for say an app is painless and I do it on a whim, paying $12.99 for a book is something I would think about for a while. 5 years from now when the movie comes out I might spend another $2.99 to re read the book.

The other thing is I do like Amazon's policy that they will store the books for you, so you still have the rights to the books you have purchased vs the Apple way where you need to keep your books backed up, if the Kindle iPad reader works well that will certainly be a consideration for me when I purchase books.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is how it should be, competition is good. It will improve the quality of the readers and hopefully bring down the price.

I am hoping that there will be many many ways to purchase books, for one I would like to be able to read a book once and then have it vanish from my device. Paying $2.99 for say an app is painless and I do it on a whim, paying $12.99 for a book is something I would think about for a while. 5 years from now when the movie comes out I might spend another $2.99 to re read the book.

The other thing is I do like Amazon's policy that they will store the books for you, so you still have the rights to the books you have purchased vs the Apple way where you need to keep your books backed up, if the Kindle iPad reader works well that will certainly be a consideration for me when I purchase books.

That is only an assumption of how the bookstore will work. If they do it like the app store you will be able redownload anything you already purchased.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I am hoping that there will be many many ways to purchase books, for one I w
That is only an assumption of how the bookstore will work. If they do it like the app store you will be able redownload anything you already purchased.

I was under the assumption that if you did not have a song or a movie or an app purchased from Apple and you lost it it was gone.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
should have read

I was under the assumption that if you did not have a song or a movie or an app purchased from Apple backed up and you lost it it was gone.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
should have read

I was under the assumption that if you did not have a song or a movie or an app purchased from Apple backed up and you lost it it was gone.

Apps can be re-downloaded right from the app store, music and movies require you to just let them know you lost them and apple will send them to your itunes queue so you can redownload them all.

Once you buy on any apple network that purchase is secure. Also they just bought Lala and are talking about creating a cloud based itunes...so you wouldn't even have to download your music, just buy it and log in to itunes and it will all be there ready to play, with the option of downloading anything you want to listen to offline.

jwookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I received the Mac for Kindle email notice too. I had NO IDEA they would have Kindle for iPad, that totally makes my day, I lprefer reading from the Touch, except the pages are rather small. Turning pages with the iPod is much faster than the Kindle device. I've had an excellent association with Amazon and love how easy it is to shop in the Kindle store and they have lots of FREE books and inexpensive short stories from newer, upcoming authors. Hallelujah, that gives us a nice selection of book vendors to chose from!

Eeyore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a long time Kindle owner, I look forward to be able to use some of my books on the ipad. In addition, it gives me a choice to see if Amazon or Apple has a lower price on a particular book or magazine that I want to purchase.

Best to All!

Most reactions

Latest posts