What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Almost No Sound in Mail

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
get and receive mail the sound is so low I have to hold it up to my ear. Of seems to be a problem just with the sounds. Internet and you tube will blast you out of the room. Anybody else noticing this. Any fixes?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
get and receive mail the sound is so low I have to hold it up to my ear. Of seems to be a problem just with the sounds. Internet and you tube will blast you out of the room. Anybody else noticing this. Any fixes?
Have you checked in Settings>Sounds to see if the volume slider is not almost all the way to the left? If it is, slide it over more towards the middle and see if that makes a difference.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All the way to the right. Plus vol. button on pro is also full up. Funny I have a couple songs I bought for ringtones on my phone that show up on the pro too. They are louder but on a 1 to 10 where ten is the sound on ringtone the same song is about a 5 on mail and the mail sound is a 1.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Have you tried changing the sound itself under Settings > Sounds. Also check under Settings > Notifications > Mail. Individual notification sounds can be set here for each account, and they override the general Sounds settings.

If none of that helps I'm not sure what is happening; but a couple questions that might narrow things down.

Is the Change with Buttons switch on or off?

When you tap the sound in the Sounds settings, is it louder, or the same as what you normally hear?

When you test the other sound settings, are they louder, quieter, or the same?

If you test the sound you usually use with Mail under one of the other notifications, how does it sound?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you live close enough to an Apple Store to take in the iPad for a Genius Bar appointment? They could run a diagnostic to determine if the problem is software or hardware related.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I kind of thought it may be the software. I did a full reset and no help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In the mean time you could try setting individual sounds for each account in Settings > Notifications > Mail. I can't guarantee it will work, but the only notification sound I have for Mail is my VIP inbox (feature must be turned on to show), and it's reasonably loud. It's the Synth sound.

So, sounds set there may work, or not.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just updated to 9.2 on my iPad Pro. Notification, keyboard, and Mail sounds are back to normal, like they should be. Seems like 9.2 solved the low volume issue on sound effects.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
9.2 fixed it but being everything else is super loud on the pro I still think they need a little more volume. On full blast those sounds are what I would call average. My 6s is just as loud and it don't have 4 speakers.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
9.2 fixed it but being everything else is super loud on the pro I still think they need a little more volume. On full blast those sounds are what I would call average. My 6s is just as loud and it don't have 4 speakers.

agreed. the notifications sounds are louder and more audible now, but could still be notched up a few decibels.

Most reactions