What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All applications in the memory after iPad restart. Is that normal?

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All applications in the memory after iPad restart. Is that normal?

I restarted the iPad (hold the sleep button then slide to turn off; then started the iPad.

Startup was really long and I noticed that all my apps are in the memory (double tap the Home button).

Shouldn't the restart wipe the memory?
Was I doing something wrong?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is completely normal. In fact, the multi-task bar 'lies'. These apps are not really resident in memory. The iPad doesn't really have a true multi-tasking system - as Windows or the Mac understands it. It's more of a task switcher. Those apparently resident apps are mostly removed from the iPad's RAM and only their context (state) is stored by the iPad. That context is retained in the iPad's flash memory so, yes, it's still there after you've done a complete power down.

Powering the iPad up from a complete power down does take time but it's almost entirely independent of the number of apps in the multi-task bar. Those apps have only minimal activity - for example they can play audio - but most activity is suspended.

If you really want to remove those apps from the multi-task bar - and all you'll be really doing is erasing their context, nothing more - you'll have to do it one app at a time on a non-jail broken iPad.

Tim

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,
Everything's clear.

Sometimes iPad boots fast.. and sometimes it takes time.
I just thought that many apps in memory carries responsibility. But if you say that it shouldn't have impact on boot time.. then what impacts the boot time?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim,
Everything's clear.

Sometimes iPad boots fast.. and sometimes it takes time.
I just thought that many apps in memory carries responsibility. But if you say that it shouldn't have impact on boot time.. then what impacts the boot time?

Are you booting in each case from a complete power down?

Tim

OP
bat0nas

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you booting in each case from a complete power down?

Tim

Yes, from a complete power down. Sometimes I turn it off (hold sleep button and then slide to power off) during the night.

And in the morning sometimes it boot slower and sometimes faster until I see my locked screen.

Most reactions