What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirPrint ...... Again!

rightcharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an iPad mini 3 and am having problems printing. I have a Canon Pixma MG 5250 which is on the list as an AirPrinter. Every time I try to print something I get the same "no airPrinters can be found".
I just downloaded a Canon app called iEPP which is a Photo printing app and when I used that it found the printer straight away!!
What's going on? It's driving me crazy!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn on the printer, wait for a few seconds, then try to print using the built in feature. I have a Canon printer as well, and my iPad always needs some time to detect the printer.

Is your printer's software up to date? Sometimes devices that don't have the latest software installed cause these problems as well. Also make sure the iPad has the most recent software installed. For iPad 2 and onwards, this is 8.3.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apps made by the printer manufacturer usually bypass the AirPrint protocol. They do this by building in their own print divers.

Less convenient than using AirPrint, because you can only print from the printer's app, but sometimes with more features and control over the printer's output.

You'll want both methods to work. If Johanna's suggestions don't work, try restarting both the printer and the router.

OP
R

rightcharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies .... tried both suggestions but to no avail!
Perhaps it's the printer driver that needs updating but I'm not sure how to do that ....

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies .... tried both suggestions but to no avail!
Perhaps it's the printer driver that needs updating but I'm not sure how to do that ....

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) I'm assuming that the Canon printer model, i.e. MG5250, is correct? If so, Apple support HERE does not list that model (see the screen capture below). Also, in reviewing the specs on your printer (HERE), AirPrint is not mentioned as a 'built-in' feature - for iPad printing the reference quoted below states that the Canon app is needed.

As to 'drivers', check HERE - may help but will not give you AirPrint - finally, please provide information on the computer you are using w/ this printer and the OS installed (OS X or Windows version), and whether the printer is cabled (if so, how) or connected via Wi-Fi - Dave

[6] When connected over an existing infrastructure mode Wi-Fi network. Canon iEPP application available as free download from Apple App Store. Compatible with iPhone OS 2.2.1 or higher.
Screen Shot 2015-04-28 at 10.28.43 AM.png

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's really strange because if you go to this link:

http://www.canon.co.uk/printers/inkjet/pixma/pixma_mg5250/

It quite clearly says
"Get Connected
With Wi-Fi and AirPrint support you can print from smartphones, tablets and Apple devices."

Puzzling!!

Well, indeed! :) I saw that the link I gave took me to the UK site, so the models Canon releases in the USA or in your area may certainly have different/additional features - sorry about the misunderstanding, I don't have a simple explanation - your may wish to review the Canon links or contact them - the list of supported printers that I posted came from Apple's support article and may be regional specific (not sure?).

In the meantime, please provide the information requested in my post - if not already done, you may want to 'Reset' the iPad and also power recycle your printer, router, and modem - probably will not help but will do no harm.

P.S. just as a general statement to all so not directed at the OP - please add your 'location' (just a country is fine) to your information - this will help others who may be the same locale to respond and who may have the same 'regional' equipment which obviously can vary - thanks.

Most reactions