What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplay without wifi network

basu1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning to buy the new ipad (3G version). I do not wish to subscribe to any additional internet connection other than the one at my ipad. I do not have any wi-fi setup at my home.

Is there a way whereby I can

a. airplay stuff (videos/music/Pics) from my ipad and laptop (windows) to apple TV?
b. stream videos/music from the net through my ipad 3G connection and airplay the same to apple TV/airplay speakers?

Would an airport express help? Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You cannot airplay without wifi, period. However, you don't need internet to have wifi inside your house. A router with wireless access point should allow this. I'm not sure about the airport express because I don't own it, but I think it would do the trick. Airplay works best when all devices involved have good connection to your network.

I don't know if you can stream via 3G while sending to your airplay device. It should in theory be doable, but someone might have restrictions some place. For example, some services like HBOgo won't let you view their content any device other than the iPad screen. So this may depend on your app.

I guess you have unlimited 3G, right, otherwise this will cost a fortune. It would in the US, for example, if you don't have an unlimited 3G plan.

Most reactions

Latest posts