What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Air Video - best 3$ I ever spent in the iTunes store

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HD is a challenge over 3G for any video streaming. That's a blot of bits to move. I don't think Netflix even does 720p over 3G. If you're running on fast wifi, it could also be the server not keeping up as y2kgtp said. Coverting and streaming HD video on the fly is a pretty demanding task.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does the iPad screen really support 720p?

My camera films in 720 and I have to convert the video to show in iPad.

Not really. True 720P is 1280×720. I think it is unlikely that your camera films in a Apple compatible format....that's the main requirement to convert video.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple natively supports Motion JPEG which they do have HD formats.

The problem is, most HD formats are in various forms of AVI/MKV/M2TS files, etc.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'd pay some meaningful bucks for an app that could stream WTV files from my Win7 Media Center without conversion, but so far, I haven't found one.

Neither will do it without conversion, but conversion is pretty easy - just right click and select convert to dvr-ms. It goes real fast, then the vids will show up in air video or stream to me.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think too highly of this product. I have a ton of home movies, all in HD 720P, taken on my point-and-click Panasonic Lumix camera. The playback is terrible. It plays for a few seconds then stops. I have to wait a few more seconds and press play again. Then it plays for a few seconds and stops.

These videos play just fine on my Win 7 HTPC and my Win 7 netbook running an Atom processor.

I don't think this software is ready for prime time. Or maybe it's the iPad's processor. Either way they're not up to the task.

I would also like to note that the video format panasonic uses (avhcd lite) is TERRIBLE for compatibility on any system. I hate it for that. Almost no software plays well with it, even on my Quad core, it takes specific software to run it without stuttering and issues.

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think too highly of this product. I have a ton of home movies, all in HD 720P, taken on my point-and-click Panasonic Lumix camera. The playback is terrible. It plays for a few seconds then stops. I have to wait a few more seconds and press play again. Then it plays for a few seconds and stops.

These videos play just fine on my Win 7 HTPC and my Win 7 netbook running an Atom processor.

I don't think this software is ready for prime time. Or maybe it's the iPad's processor. Either way they're not up to the task.

Sounds like the problem is on the computer side, not the iPad. The Computer side is doing the processing\converting of the video. iPad is just receiving a converted stream. A Netbook is not up to the task of running the server.

* Live Conversion requires iPhone or iPod touch with firmware 3.0 and a sufficiently powerful computer (Intel Core 2 duo or equivalent processor is recommended).

What processor is running the HTPC ?

I think you misunderstood. The server is a quad core Win 7 Ultimate x64 with 6 gb ram running at 3.4 ghz. It would appear that their converter isn't very efficient with high def if it's doing the conversion.

My reference to a net book was to show that the net book can play the streamed video just fine under Windows Media Center.

Last edited:

bleaver10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
agree

i'm in the same boat.

Thanks for the info on Air Video, can anyone please give me a few pointers on how it works? I have downloaded it to my Pad, and nothing seems to happen, except a little circle going round and round.

Sorry if I am missing something!!

silvo

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bleaver10 said:
i'm in the same boat.

If I remember correctly there is a part that has to be installed on the host computer also and then you must configure a link between it and the iPad...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Chicagorex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Air Video & AudioGalaxy - great combination.

I agree. Air Video has been the best purchase I made from the App Store. I can stream my entire library in incredible quality on the IPAD. I ended up with Air Video because Zumocast is not available at the moment.

I wrote Air Video and asked when they were going to support MP3 streaming in their application. They said they were thinking about it, but now it doesn't matter. They referred me to AudioGalaxy. It's free and works perfectly. I can stream to my IPAD or IPHONE to any Music Library on my home network.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Itunes (That's a good thing). For those who are trying to figure out how to stream their shared itunes libraries to their IPAD, check out AudioGalaxy.com. There is a server piece and a free app for the Iphone and IPAD. The other day, I went to the gym and got on their wifi with the iphone. I streamed my choice of music from my home server - this app works flawlessly and it's FREE.

OP
Y

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree. Air Video has been the best purchase I made from the App Store. I can stream my entire library in incredible quality on the IPAD. I ended up with Air Video because Zumocast is not available at the moment.

I wrote Air Video and asked when they were going to support MP3 streaming in their application. They said they were thinking about it, but now it doesn't matter. They referred me to AudioGalaxy. It's free and works perfectly. I can stream to my IPAD or IPHONE to any Music Library on my home network.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Itunes (That's a good thing). For those who are trying to figure out how to stream their shared itunes libraries to their IPAD, check out AudioGalaxy.com. There is a server piece and a free app for the Iphone and IPAD. The other day, I went to the gym and got on their wifi with the iphone. I streamed my choice of music from my home server - this app works flawlessly and it's FREE.

Thanks for the tip, will check out AudioGalaxy :D

Most reactions

Latest posts