What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does iTunes sync Videos from?

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have searched for my answer, but can't find what I need.

I am new to iTunes and Apple, but am loving my new iPad 2, but syncing videos is proving a challenge to me at the moment.

The videos that I want to import have been converted using handbrake and play on the iPad ok, but the only way I can get them on is by dragging the files from my PC into the "Film" part of "My iPad" and although this works, it gives a generic thumbnail which I dont want.

I did read a post earlier in the day that said that videos need to be synced from within the Films section rather than drag and dropped. My problem is where does iTunes sync the videos from on a PC?? I thought it would have been "My Videos", but that doesnt seem to be the case. No matter what I do I cant seem to find the videos that I have converted???

Basically why are my handbrake converted videos (using iPad profile) not showing up when I sync...... is there some way of refreshing the videos that are showing to be synced to include my new ones?

As a test I have just deleted one of the videos from my PC which was showing in iTunes able to be synced and it is still showing even though it been deleted????

Help please :)

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Click on the name of your iPad in iTunes on the left, go to the tabs on top, and select "movies". Point to the folder your files are in. I think you can drag them in as well.

OP
Harters

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Click on the name of your iPad in iTunes on the left, go to the tabs on top, and select "movies". Point to the folder your files are in. I think you can drag them in as well.

That's the problem, it doesn't give an option to browse for my folder, unlike Photos where you get a browse option :(

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes pulls videos from it's Library files. You have to import them into iTunes.

If you don't want iTunes messing with the actual files you can go to Settings > Advanced > check off the "Copy filed to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

This will then only create a link to the file in iTunes without moving the original or making duplicates. I use this for my videos which are kept on a secondary drive in my tower. The same thing can applied to music files.

OP
Harters

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes pulls videos from it's Library files. You have to import them into iTunes.

If you don't want iTunes messing with the actual files you can go to Settings > Advanced > check off the "Copy filed to iTunes Music folder when adding to library"

This will then only create a link to the file in iTunes without moving the original or making duplicates. I use this for my videos which are kept on a secondary drive in my tower. The same thing can applied to music files.

That you so much for you reply.... it's easy when you know how :D

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well then every other media player will freak out as well. You can always re-source the files that have broken by doing "get info" and locating them again.

It's a choice. I use OSX at home and keep my iTunes library in the Shared user folder. Took a little trickery to domti but I'd much rather have it there where all my accounts can get at it.

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, keep my iTunes library in the Shared user folder, seems a good idea to manage the iTunes files~

To the Op, your problem is solved, right?
If not, the first thing I think is "make sure the box next to "Sync Movies" at the top of the screen is checked", if it's checked, but the check box below it is not, you can select individual movies from your library. Check the box next to the name of the movie you want to sync (unchecked movies will not be added to your iPad).
And if you check the "Automatically add" checkbox under the "Sync Movies" box, you can choose to automatically add all movies in your library to your iPad each time you sync.

OP
Harters

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To the Op, your problem is solved, right?
If not, the first thing I think is "make sure the box next to "Sync Movies" at the top of the screen is checked", if it's checked, but the check box below it is not, you can select individual movies from your library. Check the box next to the name of the movie you want to sync (unchecked movies will not be added to your iPad).
And if you check the "Automatically add" checkbox under the "Sync Movies" box, you can choose to automatically add all movies in your library to your iPad each time you sync.

Thats a lot of checking, I will check what you suggest when I get home tonight, thanks. :D

Yes I have solved my problem now thanks to Dorje.

What I am doing is converting the movies which I want with Handbrake, then moving the conversions to an "iPad" folder on my external hard drive. This folder contains a "Videos" folder & a "Photos" folder. I have added the "Videos" folder library via iTunes so its contents now show up when I sync movies :)

pjaapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Syncing videos

I did what you did:1. used handbrake to convert videos to MP4 format. 2. saved the video in a folder on my external hard drive (the same folder that has my photos). However, when I go to Itunes to sync the video, I cannot find the video. (Syncing the pictues works perfect). Any help is appreciated.

OP
Harters

Harters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pjaapple said:
I did what you did:1. used handbrake to convert videos to MP4 format. 2. saved the video in a folder on my external hard drive (the same folder that has my photos). However, when I go to Itunes to sync the video, I cannot find the video. (Syncing the pictues works perfect). Any help is appreciated.

It confused me at first as unlike when syncing photos there is no browse function.

You need to add a new library via the file menu (windows) and choose the external drive as it's location. After that your videos should show up amongst all the others.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts