What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add unknown word to iPad’s dictionary?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can this be done? I just typed a word into Notes, got the dotted red underline, and saw several options for that selected word, but none of them to Add or Learn (to the iPad’s dictionary).

Does iOS support this? Does Notes? If not, then iOS dictionary - against which spellings are compared - is a closed system, limited to the universe of words iOS ships with.

Thank you!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From page 406 of the terrible iPad User Guide for iOS 11: “You add words to the keyboard dictionary by rejecting words iPad suggests as you type.” I suspected as much all along, but I have no idea how many times you have to ignore a suggestion before a word is added. Certainly more than once or twice.

Note that this is only documented in the section on resetting the dictionary, not in the section on spelling correction. I only found it by searching for "add word." Given Apple, I suppose we're lucky they still let us disable autocorrection, rather than force us to use their approved vocabulary.

Oh, BTW scifan, that's one of the lamest tutorials I've seen. They couldn't be bothered to use an actual example of adding a word, rather than recycle the screenshots for creating text replacements. I had to read it three times to understand the conflicting instructions. Regardless, thanks for posting an undocumented trick! :cool:

Most reactions