What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't have spell check without autocorrect

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this stupidity limited to 4.2.1, or was it always present. I want to enable spell check but to disable autocorrect. The system does not allow this, as when I enavle spell check, then disable autocorrect, spell ckeck then gets set to off! This is retarted and absurd. Spell check by itself should simple put a red underline on a word that spellcheck does not like. When the user taps on the word, suggestions should be available. I can't stand when programs or devices think that they are smarter than I am. Currently, I have spell check off. If it were on, with the forced autocorrect feature, I would be unable to type the word "bloomberg," as the autocorrect feature would split the word as bloom berg. If anybody from Apple is listning, please patch this.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find the autocorrect to be useful the majority of the time, as it corrects my fat finger typos when I go a little too fast. But it is annoying sometimes when it corrects words that I actually want to use.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question. If auto correct picks a word or adds a space in the middle and you don't want, is there a way to ignore it on the keyboard other than hitting the x next to it?

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question. If auto correct picks a word or adds a space in the middle and you don't want, is there a way to ignore it on the keyboard other than hitting the x next to it?

Nope. You must hit the x. I was hoping that iOS 4.2 would bring an add to dictionary feature. According to apple hitting the X will add the word. Not always the case.

I type a lot of proper names for product lines and it was getting annoying. Because the iPad uses your contact list as a reference for names I added a contact with these proper names (products) to eliminate the issue.

I agree that this feature needs some enhancement on the os side.

johanwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I totally agree with you. Spell check out is a good feature that helps anybody for correcting his typing mistakes. But you are right that sometimes we want to write something which is not in dictionary then it creates a problem. So this feature should be enhanced.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can type hell either, it always makes it he'll. You should be able to manually tell the system not to correct or capitalize certain words.

smudgeyjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When X

Those who have spoken of this, when do you hit the x? Do you hit it right at the end of the word as though it had an x on hte end, or right when the auto-correct displays the word it wants you to change to? Thanx!!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My favorite is "hon" to "jon." THAT goes over well with the love of your life. ;)

Michael

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe because "hon" isn't a recognized word in the English language? :p

Find a new endearing term for her? Or type out "honey."

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You Mean Apple's Auto Correct is Negative

Auto correct is both positive and negative.
Others are much much better. That is the problem with Apple, when they have a product which is crap.. They don't fix it.
All they needed to do here is to leave the option of check and allow us to skip the correct like MS dose.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe because "hon" isn't a recognized word in the English language? :p

Find a new endearing term for her? Or type out "honey."

Kinna hrd wen u r drvng. :) Kidding!

Actually I use BiteSMS on my iPhone for text. Among many other features it offers delay send. I have it set to delay sending for 2.5 seconds. If I see a mistake I just hit Stop, fix it, and send it again.

Michael

Most reactions