What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Add translate to safari right-click context menu

ensky28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SOS I'd like to add a "translate" menu to safari browser website, that is whenever I right-click a word, phrase or paragraph it will give an option to translate (any preferred language). Currently, safari on iPad Air only gives "copy" or "define". I would like to add "translate" to that. Appreciate your help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Depending on the dictionaries you installed on your iPad, you get a translation when you select "Define":
image.jpg

To see which dictioniaries you use, tap "Manage". This will show you which ones are available. Those with a cloud can be downloaded. Tap the cloud to install a dictionary. When they are installed, they look like this:
image.jpg

Hope that helps.

OP
E

ensky28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appreciate it. Yes, I've seen that. I guess if "translate" can't be added then "define" option might work, BUT do you know or is there an option to add to the list like German-English dictionary? Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad!

The dictionaries don't translate, only in certain cases. To get a translation, you'll need an app, such as PONS Online Dictionary, or dict.cc. You can't get a translation in Safari itself, except if the website offers a German version as well.

There is a German dictionary (Duden - Wissensnetz Deutsche Sprache), but it doesn't translate from English to German.

OP
E

ensky28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no answer to this question ha? Again the problem is: a foreign word, say German, in a safari website and I'd like to know the meaning in English. Currently safari allows a right-click that gives you 'copy' or 'define'. 'Define' gives you a preset list of references but none of what I wanted. Is there a way to add to that list? Or perhaps a way to add 'translate' along with copy and define when execute right-click? Thanks in advance to the safari genius out there?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no setting that translates automatically. In Safari, you have Define and Copy. It's also not possible to add this feature on a stock iPad.

I've found an app that should translate in Safari when you tap a word: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tap-translate/id414727890?mt=8

It's not free, and I don't know if it translates correctly.

If there are just a few words here and there that you don't understand, it's certainly better to use a dictionary app.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts