What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ad Blocker?

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there any ad blocker from games that you can recommend? cydia or not, thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS 9 is adding APIs for content/ad blocking. We're expecting a boom in ad blocking app on the heals of it's release. Since that's only two days away, I recommend you wait a bit and see what turns up.

You'll have far more options than we do at this moment.

Of course, that means you'll have to update to iOS 9, and if you're cautious that means a week or so of waiting to see how well it works; especially on older model iPads.

Still, I think it will be worth it.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iOS 9 is adding APIs for content/ad blocking. We're expecting a boom in ad blocking app on the heals of it's release. Since that's only two days away, I recommend you wait a bit and see what turns up.

You'll have far more options than we do at this moment.

Of course, that means you'll have to update to iOS 9, and if you're cautious that means a week or so of waiting to see how well it works; especially on older model iPads.

Still, I think it will be worth it.
That sounds good, looking forward to it, thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of it myself.

I'm reluctant to block all ads, since I want my favorite sites to continue. However, some sites and advertisers are out of control, not only the number of ads, but a rediculous amount of ad and tracking traffic, makeing pages bulky and very slow to load.

I'm expecting it to be hard on medium sized sites, and sorry for it, but I'm also hoping it will result in more resoncible advertising.

Or the ad wars will continue on another front. That is the most likely outcome.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From the looks of it so far, I don't believe you can add specific host sources to iOS 9 adblocking based on beta testing several adblockers. Hopefully the API is expanded to include that option as opposed to specifically blocking ads one at a time or generalizing all elements given a certain word, etc. Particularly with Apple pushing for full-screen video ads that cannot be x-ed out as well, it'll be a pain in the rear to attempt to block them when implemented

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From the looks of it so far, I don't believe you can add specific host sources to iOS 9 adblocking based on beta testing several adblockers. Hopefully the API is expanded to include that option as opposed to specifically blocking ads one at a time or generalizing all elements given a certain word, etc. Particularly with Apple pushing for full-screen video ads that cannot be x-ed out as well, it'll be a pain in the rear to attempt to block them when implemented

From what I've seen it depends on the app. Some provide the ability to create your own filters and triggers. 1Blocker (mentioned above) does this.

Not that I understand exactly how it works. I skimmed that section of the MacStories iOS 9 review I was reading, just picking up the essentials.

I've seen recommendations for Crystal and Purify as well as 1Blocker.

Myself, I'll wait awhile longer before I decise what blocker, if any, to use. I'm mostly happy with my strategy of just not (or rarely) visiting the sites that annoy me.

Most reactions

Latest posts