What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accessing desktop outlook database on iPad 2

mbe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is want I want to do: sync my mail (folders., messages and attachments) as it is in my Outlook Mac 2011 on my MacBook Pro to my iPad 2. I don't mean a live mail-account, I just want to have offline access to the items in my outlook inbox en sent items. Does anybody know if this is possible?

Thanx in advance!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you talking about remote desktop access? Splashtop is a great way to access your desktop PC from your iPad - there's a free, try-before-you-buy, version too - limited to 5 minutes use, so that you can see if it works for you.

Tim

OP
M

mbe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you talking about remote desktop access? Splashtop is a great way to access your desktop PC from your iPad - there's a free, try-before-you-buy, version too - limited to 5 minutes use, so that you can see if it works for you.

Tim
No. I want to have my inbox/sent items with me as kind of an archive when I go in to meetings and such, at which time I don't have a Wifi or 3G connection with my desktop.

Reaction score
So why don't you just add the email account to your iPad? The Mail app stores the emails locally, though it is limited to 200 emails.

Ok, the mail app only keeps recent email stored, which may not be ideal.

Last edited:
OP
M

mbe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So why don't you just add the email account to your iPad? The Mail app stores the emails locally, though it is limited to 200 emails.

I organise my incoming and sent mail (POP) on my desktop in folders, which don't sync with the mail-client on my iPad (or at least I don't know how to do this).

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I organise my incoming and sent mail (POP) on my desktop in folders, which don't sync with the mail-client on my iPad (or at least I don't know how to do this).

I think what DontUnderstandMyIpad was suggesting was that you configure the iPad's Mail client to be a mirror of the client on your PC. As long as you haven't set your PC mail client to delete read emails, then you can collect duplicates on the iPad. You just configure the iPad email client to be identical to the desktop client and you can download the last 200 emails....

Tim

Reaction score
mbe said:

Therein lies the problem. POP does not sync back to the server, so whatever you do locally with your emails stays there.

If you would setup your email account as IMAP or Exchange, the folder structure would sync to the mail server and any other device synced to the same email account would see the exact same folder structure including emails.

OP
M

mbe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I would prefer it if I didn't have to organize incoming mail twice. Now I just delete the mail on my iPhone and iPad after I have read them and use my desktop as mail-archive. I've seen an app which can open pst-files (pst Mail), but unfortunately, Outlook:Mac 2011 doesn't use a pst-file to store outlook data.

Last edited:
OP
M

mbe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Therein lies the problem. POP does not sync back to the server, so whatever you do locally with your emails stays there.

Exactly. Now, if I had an Outlook client which works with pst-files, I could use the app pst Mail to access this file on my iPad. It seems there is no such app that works with Outlook:Mac 2011?

GCThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any news on this front? I want to be able to see my entire (Outlook) saved email history on my IPAD. gotta be a way..... GCT

Most reactions

Latest posts