What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A tablet that doesn't do much but text

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to find a way to make it possible for my SO to text her kids. I am 81 and have been using PCs etc since there were any. I worked at IBM when the first pcs came out. She, however, "has trouble with anything with more than one button". I have tried taking almost everything off of one my old iPads but that didn't work for her. She is a normally intelligent regular person except in this case. I'm thinking that there may be an app perhaps used with people with special needs.

I will appreciate any ideas that you have, Maybe a different tablet doesn't need to be apple.

bob

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
The accessibility settings are intended to allow users to set an iPad to accommodate any number of special needs. You could maybe contact Apple support, or visit the help forum on their website to see if they can help you set it up for her. L

OP
superfish

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. I hadn't looked into Accessibility lately and there are some upgrades that might be helpful. I have an iPad 2 that I can return to new and put just her stuff on it.

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to find a way to make it possible for my SO to text her kids. I am 81 and have been using PCs etc since there were any. I worked at IBM when the first pcs came out. She, however, "has trouble with anything with more than one button". I have tried taking almost everything off of one my old iPads but that didn't work for her. She is a normally intelligent regular person except in this case. I'm thinking that there may be an app perhaps used with people with special needs.

I will appreciate any ideas that you have, Maybe a different tablet doesn't need to be apple.

bob

Bob, does she really have use for texting or tablet computing? Do you think it would just be an annoyance in the end? I tried to get my mom to use a tablet and after a while she just dumped it and went back to her flip phone. She is happier.

OP
superfish

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes TabletGuy she may just ditch the whole thing,although she did suggest it. She has trouble with our cordless phone. It's comical if I hand her my iPad to look at a picture she manages to change the screen before she can see the pic. Her daughter is on android she can check out the launchers. I'm going to wait and see if it comes up again.

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah no problem bob,
If you go to the Google Play Store see if they still have the SimpleLauncher. That is the one I got for my mom a long time ago. The developer said it was specially created for seniors, young children and EDITED.

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah no problem bob,
If you go to the Google Play Store see if they still have the SimpleLauncher. That is the one I got for my mom a long time ago. The developer said it was specially created for seniors, young children and EDITED.
Please watch your language when posting in this forum. We do not allow any posts that are discriminatory to any person or group.

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But what is the discrimination about? I am black and so is my mother who needed the launcher. The writer of the software had us along with senior and kids in mind and the app was free. So how is any of this discrimination?

Do you think you have misunderstood?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The description of the app conveys the feeling that the app developer puts the cognitive abilities of small children and seniors on a level with a whole race because of it’s skin colour. Thinking that one race is superior to another, just because it’s white, and the other one is different, is racism. That’s what’s discriminatory.

Our rules say that no racist content shall be posted. That’s the reason why scifan57 edited your post and told you about it.

TabletGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wouldn't quite say he does that. However, it is proven that we score lower on the IQ test but that don't matter since it doesn't mean we aren't good people. We need to stop being so PC.

thirdsun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
judging by the app creators email (name) he's Chinese. The Chinese are very blunt about race, body shapes, peoples religions and other things we are senstive about in the west. They do have bad stereotypes about darker skinned people than themselves. I can see the seniors. children and [certain race] description has been removed.

Most reactions