What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A question about using cases and covers.

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I did a search on this but did not find the answer I was looking for. I am shopping for a case or cover for my new iPad Mini 4 and I have seen a few things about the iPad overheating when in a case or cover. I would not be leaving my iPad in the direct sunlight if at all possible so I am not worried about that but I hear that it could overheat while charging with a case on it. I want to protect it as I would my phone with a sturdy shock proof case if it will not be a problem. What do I need to know about this? Thank you.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Whether or not you need a shockproof case depends on how you'll use the Mini. My wife carries hers in her purse with no case of any kind, and it's fine. When I leave the house with my Pro, it goes into a padded soft bag with a carry handle. I pull it out as necessary.

OTOH, if you tend to drop things a lot or use the tablet In a harsh environment, then you might benefit from a bombproof case.

I have no experience with charging inside a case.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whether or not you need a shockproof case depends on how you'll use the Mini. My wife carries hers in her purse with no case of any kind, and it's fine. When I leave the house with my Pro, it goes into a padded soft bag with a carry handle. I pull it out as necessary.

OTOH, if you tend to drop things a lot or use the tablet In a harsh environment, then you might benefit from a bombproof case.

I have no experience with charging inside a case.

Thank you for your input. I have yet to ever drop and damage a phone or tablet. I just think of a shock proof case as being insurance in a manner of speaking. I am considering just using a secure zippered padded case just for transporting.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would take the iPad out of the padded case when charging to prevent any heat build-up.
Well I will do that. I have not actually received my iPad Mini 4 yet so I now know not to buy a case or cover but to buy a protective sleeve or something similar just to use while transporting it. Thanks for your input.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions about this. I was planning on buying a "skin" type stick on vinyl cover for the back but I hesitate to do even that now. I would not have expected the iPad to get hot while it is charging though. I guess it is what it is.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not as bad as it might sound.

I’m using leather cases with my iPads. One’s a clip on case, and the other one is made to let the iPad slip into it. Once applied, I’ve never removed these cases, and there’s no problem with overheating when they are charging.

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It’s not as bad as it might sound.

I’m using leather cases with my iPads. One’s a clip on case, and the other one is made to let the iPad slip into it. Once applied, I’ve never removed these cases, and there’s no problem with overheating when they are charging.
Wow! Leather cases eh? Well coming from you, I will have to rethink this issue. What do you think about using the vinyl skin on the back? I found one that looks like blue carbon fiber that I like. And I guess I can keep shopping for a case now. Thanks for telling me about your leather case.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No idea, sorry! I haven’t used a skin on any of my devices, but it looks like they’re thin, so there shouldn’t be a problem.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well I will do that. I have not actually received my iPad Mini 4 yet so I now know not to buy a case or cover but to buy a protective sleeve or something similar just to use while transporting it. Thanks for your input.

You’re welcome! I use Apple smart cases for both my iPads - attached with internal magnets, all the time. When travelling, I use a padded case with a strap and grip handle.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use an Apple smart cover for the air 2 and that does both the back and, more importantly the screen. When out walking we take it around with us in an over shoulder type bag, in which goes a spare lightning cable and other bits and pieces.

It does get warm when charging, but probably between 30 and 40 deg. C, so I almost never take it out of the cover.

We did drop it once, well actually it accidently slid off a folding table and were we glad that it had the cover. A new screen would have cost a *lot* more and as we were abroad, somewhat disastrous.

Just seems to me to be a sensible item of ‘insurance’. (We did roughly the same with our iPhone 8’s, but then they are slippery!)

OP
graywoulf

graywoulf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an Apple smart cover for the air 2 and that does both the back and, more importantly the screen. When out walking we take it around with us in an over shoulder type bag, in which goes a spare lightning cable and other bits and pieces.

It does get warm when charging, but probably between 30 and 40 deg. C, so I almost never take it out of the cover.

We did drop it once, well actually it accidently slid off a folding table and were we glad that it had the cover. A new screen would have cost a *lot* more and as we were abroad, somewhat disastrous.

Just seems to me to be a sensible item of ‘insurance’. (We did roughly the same with our iPhone 8’s, but then they are slippery!)
Thank you for your input on this. I too think that it is a good bit of sensible insurance as you say for those unfortunate but possible accidents. I will probably get something with front and back protection.

Most reactions

Latest posts