What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A database or catalog app for iPad?

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have a bunch of images I want to track with various bits of information, for my own purposes. So I guess I'm looking for a database with custom fields, or a catalog kind of thing where I can add bits of information - ratings stars, numbers, title, etc. In various fields. It needs to interact with photo app where the image album is shared from my mac, so I can get them into the iPad.

I had a brief look at Ember, but it won't read the shared photo stream on the iPad! likely requiring you to buy the desktop version. Not altogether unreasonable. So I don't know if I can add the text info i want in a kind of template way.

I want to build a template for the image information form, and use that template for the other 100 images.

Photo app will show the images, but i cannot add any text or tracking information.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Take a look at FormConnect. It's a forms based database that can handle image fields.

I keep meaning to get it myself, as a replacement for Bento; which is no longer supported.

OP
dougrogers

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ayer a bit of research, 'Itemizer' looks like it might do too. I find myself wondering if I couldn't also do what I think I need with PDF forms...

I'm not rushing into this. Dead trees still provide a working solution, but I would love to leave that behind.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Always best to take your time when choosing something you'll probably have to work with for a long while.

You should probably take a long look at any import/export options, in the name of future proofing.

The most powerful, and most expensive, solution would be a combination of the FileMaker Pro apps for desktop, web, and iOS. But it sounds like overkill for what you want.

OP
dougrogers

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My workflow should go something like this: selected a number of images in iPhoto on the Mac. Import the selected album ( with titles! I don't want to constantly rename the things the same name, one at a time ) into something where I can make tracking marks or records, like how many prints of this have I made, where are they (retailer) now. Get this document onto the iPad, where it will act as a display catalog, likely a scrollable grid. Tap the image and up comes data and recordable inputs.

Curator looked like a possibility.

Thanks for pointers.

OP
dougrogers

dougrogers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using Itemizer. Found it problematic for inputting data while in the field. Two tap and three taps on items to change a menu value.

Downloaded free iTab today. it will import CSV files. Itemizer outputs CSV and iTunes, if you want associated pictures. ITab doesn't import from iTunes. Since I am tracking images, my cat prints, which are already in the database, I didn't want to reimport the associated pictures.

I opened the exported CSV file on my Mac in Numbers. Searched for a way to import pictures into a cel thinking I set this up from the mac and share it to iCloud and get it on the iPad. As to pics in cels... No can do. But. You can in IOS. ( Google search!) I imported the spreadsheet into Numbers on the iPad. Shared the appropriate photo album to the iPad. Then. You select the image in iPhoto, use the Copy button from the Share panel that slides up from the bottom in the app - not the pop up menu off the image directly - go to Numbers and select the cel. Wait for the pop up menu array, select paste.

So I put the images into the spreadsheet one at a time anyway.

Most reactions

Latest posts