What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8P to 30P Adapter ...

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I saw a link to an adapter for 8p to 30p. The 30 pin charger cord is much cheaper and easier to find. I also won’t worry about the cord snapping at the end of the 8p connector. This has happened many times and I have plastic doohickies to hold it firmly in place. But the worry would be less with an an adapter.

I searched Google but found many in Asia and eBay. I want a legit store in the USA with a return policy.

so .. Any recommendations for online merchants with reasonable prices and a great reputation?

Thank you

Uul_2005

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw a link to an adapter for 8p to 30p. The 30 pin charger cord is much cheaper and easier to find. I also won’t worry about the cord snapping at the end of the 8p connector. This has happened many times and I have plastic doohickies to hold it firmly in place. But the worry would be less with an an adapter.

I searched Google but found many in Asia and eBay. I want a legit store in the USA with a return policy.

so .. Any recommendations for online merchants with reasonable prices and a great reputation?

Thank you
G

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Uhm, thanks, but “G” isn’t much help without more letters! I’m not sure if I need a male or female adapter (I can’t tell without appendages) and my Apple knowledge is lacking.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

I searched Google but found many in Asia and eBay. I want a legit store in the USA with a return policy........

Hello again - just for clarification, do you want a 30 pin-lightning (8 pin) adapter for charging purposes and/or to connect older devices that still require the 30 pin docking (e.g. radios, cars, etc.)? New iPads have either a lightning or a USB-C charging dock - if you buy the iPad pointed out by me in your other thread, then a lightning plug is used for charging (I now have an iPad Pro w/ a USB-C charging port).

Wife and I have been using lightning adapters on iPads/iPhones for a long while and have had none break or snap off (some cables have stopped working but a rarity in our experience) - having an intervening combo adapter seems unnecessary IMO; BUT, they do exist, either male-female or female-male depending on what is needed - two are shown below from an Amazon search. Also, there are 'magnetic' connections that easily separate from an iDevice (just search for 'magnetic lightning adapter' on Amazon). I'll stop there in case I am not understanding your exact reason for such an adapter. Dave :)
Adapter30PinA.png
Adapter30PinB.png

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. I keep my iPad plugged in all the time out of habit. With a new one I’ll probably just recharge it when the battery is low.

The links that you provided, I’m assuming, are for my needs. Rather than the charge connector (8 pin) breaking off, the adapter will allow the pin to extend out of the connection on the iPad. That way a cord won’t bend and break at the connection.

I hope that is clearer. I’ll look at your links now n

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oops reading your first link, that description doesn’t list iPad 2

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I just checked again and it is an N. I hit copy yesterday and didn’t write it down. So my iPad is an N. I can take a picture with my iPhone if need be.

The new one hasn’t died yet and the battery is okay but it wears down quicker now. I’m ordering the iPad 2 tonight for delivery on May 21. I hoped I’d get it quicker:(
Thank you again

Hi again. I had bookmarked Apple Lightning to 30-pin Adapter and forgot about it. Is this the adapter for my iPad 2?

Hi again Pinkipad2 - above are your posts from the two threads you started recently. First, I don't understand why you are ordering an obsolete iPad 2? The link to the Apple store that I provided in your other thread was for their newest iPad (at the price you proposed) which has the 8-pin lightning adapter - you really need to provide a better explanation.

Second, the adapter in your link is the one I showed previously which is the 'Male 8-pin lightning w/ the Female 30-pin' adapter - this would plug into an iPad w/ a lightning port and a male 30-pin cable (for whatever purpose) could then plug into the other end.

Finally, as explained earlier, we've had really no issues w/ the 8-pin lightning ports or cables except as mentioned previously; if you search on Amazon, there are plenty of lightning cables w/ reinforced endings to prevent breakage, plus as mentioned even magnetic ones that detach which will prevent these problems. Dave :)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I ordered the iPad from your link I believe. If I didn’t then I cannot remember the reason with my amnesia.

The adapter you listed first doesn’t say it will work for iPad 2. I ordered it though because they seem to indicate that returns are easy. I’m not getting my iPad until May 21 if I remember right (????). I’ll hold onto the adapter until then. The longer recharge cord is due on Wednesday from Apple but it depends on the packaging. Boxes and paper bubble envelopes are sprayed and left outdoors for six hours or more. Plastic envelopes are not absorbent so I get them in an hour or two. (Unless one of the morons is working and I get it right away).

I’ll look for the other thread for the iPad recommendation. I’ll post here if need be.

thank you

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay I looked at the thread. I never clicked on the link because the picture says iPad Air first and I just didn’t think the fancier model was right for me. Preconceived notions and not following through.

I’m not too upset since I’m getting a new iPad albeit an older model. This battery is slowly dying. Usually after three hours of usage I’m down about 24%. I’m down to 61% right now so 60% leakage.

I had planned to keep this as a backup but with the battery dying I’ll trade it in. The $130 gift card will buy the cover plus a few cords and maybe the adapter!

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wait! I just looked up the order status at Apple.

Personalized 10.2-inch iPad Wi-Fi 32GB - Silver

That appears to be the iPad you linked and NOT the iPad 2. So I’m either very happy as I can buy an adapter from Apple for the iPad and not for the iPad 2.

Please make my day!

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m now cross-eyed from looking at adapter cords! The magnetic lightning search brought up many cords and 8p-to-8p connectors but not adapters for 30p-to-8p under Prime .

I found these from Asian companies and am not thrilled m
30 Pin Adapter | 8 Pin Female to 30 Pin Male | Works with Smartphones, Cars, 30
Pin Docking Stations and More | White and the
8P to 30P Adapter, 2Pack 8P to 30P Charge & Sync Cable Adapter Converter for Phone X/8/7/7 Plus/6s/6s Plus/6/6 Plus/SE/5s/5c/5 (White)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wait! I just looked up the order status at Apple.

Personalized 10.2-inch iPad Wi-Fi 32GB - Silver

That appears to be the iPad you linked and NOT the iPad 2. So I’m either very happy as I can buy an adapter from Apple for the iPad and not for the iPad 2.......................

Hi again - that's exactly the model I suggested many posts ago, and which you ordered (not an iPad 2 which is obsolete, and could be obtained only used, if still functional?) - Apple now sells just 4 iPads (see Wiki chart below - the four sold new by Apple are at the bottom in green) - the iPad you are getting is circled in blue - this has an 8-pin lightning port - there is no need for a 30-pin adapter; plus, relative to your newest thread on a cover, you will need one that fits this new model, e.g. see 2nd pic below from Amazon as an example (7th Generation iPad w/ 10.2" display). Dave :)

iPadsWiki.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 10.45.27 PM.png

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Dave and thank you. I’m not sure about the adapter comment because I ordered the 30 pin charger cord. For thirty dollars I’d rather use it with an adapter. I need the six foot cord to be safer and not worried about breakage.

The iPad I ordered is either fifth or sixth gen according to your image. The Amazon link is for the seventh gen iPad Plus, I will have a gift card for Apple’s site so need to buy it there. Earlier I needed the model code like 1822 or similar but Apple doesn’t give that information out. Guess I’ll have to wait to for my iPad to arrive.

The Apple store has nothing for a fifth or sixth gen cover if I remember right. But if the iPad is a newer model, shouldn’t they have one? Or does generation refer to a inner working and not the dimensions of the iPad ?

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay my research shows that the seventh generation iPad is what I ordered. It’s 10.2” and the other ones are 9.7”.

The Apple store has the cover.

Most reactions

Latest posts