What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7th Gen. performance

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I there anything I can do to improve the performance of my 7th Gen. when online? It's not bad, but still noticeably slower. It is about 2 years old.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I there anything I can do to improve the performance of my 7th Gen. when online? It's not bad, but still noticeably slower. It is about 2 years old.
In addition to Jupiter7's recommendation, we need more details from you about the meaning of 'performance', e.g. are specific apps slow and others fine, is the speed down when browsing, does the performance change when you browse on different networks (e.g. your home network vs. elsewhere), what is you Wi-Fi speed at home - can thing of more but answers to these questions might help others offer more specific advice. Dave :)

OP
W

Wayne Block

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I believe I have previously powered down but will try again.
I pretty much only use it with my home network which isn't particularly fast, about 30 mbps, but comparing it to my PC laptop it is quite a bit slower. It is mostly online where I notice the slowness, comparing, for instance, running cnn.com, or espn.com, between the devices.
I didn't know if there was any kind of maintenance that should be performed, such as defragging a PC?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I believe I have previously powered down but will try again.
I pretty much only use it with my home network which isn't particularly fast, about 30 mbps, but comparing it to my PC laptop it is quite a bit slower. It is mostly online where I notice the slowness, comparing, for instance, running cnn.com, or espn.com, between the devices.
I didn't know if there was any kind of maintenance that should be performed, such as defragging a PC?
Hi Wayne - thanks for your response - well 30 Mbps should be fine for standard browsing; might not be if running HD /4K video, but your laptop seems to do well on your network (assume both are connecting via Wi-Fi and the PC is not cabled?) - would be interesting if you could run the iPad on a faster network to see if there is a difference.

As you likely know, the iPad uses solid state storage, like a SSD - these should never be defragged and may cause damage or a shortened lifespan (more HERE) - the only real suggestion is the percent of storage being used, i.e. recommended to have about 20% free storage (suggestions will vary somewhat), especially needed when doing a new version iPadOS upgrade. Other than that, the Apple HW/SW takes good care of itself. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts