What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G on the current iPad 3 will never work in the UK... read to find out why.

L

Lunar

There's been a few comments about whether the new iPad 3 will work on our implemention of 4G in the UK, well I can definately confirm that the current iPad version will never work in the UK, so don't buy it thinking you may later be able to take advantage of 4G when it eventually gets rolled out in the UK.

Why not.. you might ask?

Well.. the answer is very simple and final, it's because the frequencies that have been allocated for 4G in the UK which are 900MHz and 1800MHz, but the new iPad3's 4G works on 700MHz and 2100MHz, so there you have it. Anyone with half a brain can see someone has cocked up big time at Apple, if they ever thought their current 4G offering would work in the UK. Our allocated 4G frequencies cannot be changed as there is no spare frequencies which can be used, other than the old now obsolete TV frequencies, and those are what the government decided on, in fact they really had little choice.

So our 4G system in the UK when it eventually gets running will require any 4G device to operate at 900MHz & 1800MHz for it to work at 4G, IOW you can totally forget about the current Ipad3's from ever working on 4G in the UK.

I assume in due course, Apple will change/modify the hardware, to make it compatible.. ie. iPad 3 version 2...lol

BTW Mobile service provider ' Everything Everywhere' announced they were hoping to rollout 4G in the UK in 2013, with no doubt other companies doing the same in due course. One thing is certain, Apple will need to bring out another version of it's current iPad if it's to work in the UK on 4G, but I suspect by then the iPad4 will have been released, which will have UK compatible 4G.

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That sucks...but will the 3G work? Also, what about those other protocals?

iDuffer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
That sucks...but will the 3G work? Also, what about those other protocals?

3G works fine, faster than my WiFi (O2 has 3G900, the iPad seems to support this. I get 4.47Mbps)

Last edited:
OP
L

Lunar

Yes.. as the previous poster stated... no issue's at all with 3G or enhanced 3G networks at all, as one would expect as obviously thats' been in standard use for many years now, whats caused the problems with 4G potential in the Uk is that the new frequencies allocated for it are different to those in the USA.

In reality it will make little difference to most users, as I can't see 4G becoming fully viable across the UK for 1 or 2 years yet, and AIS, by then another iPad that does work on our new 4G networks will be out.

Nonetheless, it's an Apple promotion selling point, which basically is totally useless to us in the UK..lol, and similar to Autralia iPad user's, where Apple have offerered refunds as their 4G is unusable too, they could claim Apple should make the same offer to UK iPad3 used too if they feel they were duped in some way.
Personally I think most people will just accept that it's a 3G compatible device only in the UK. In any case, all users have 2 weeks to return it for a refund anyway, but of course someone could claim they didn't find out about the 4G issue until well past their 2 week grace period... so that could be interesting.

If the UK 4G networks had been rolling out much sooner... say this year, then I think it would have been more of a serious issue... but even so, I suspect there will be few iPad3 users who will feel a little upset to find their new toy isn't 4G compatible here in the UK even if they actually never got to use it anyway..lol.. IYKWIM. ;-)

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's obvious that 4g won't work here in the uk. It's not even relevant for us on the new iPad. Maybe the next iPad huh

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually the UK GSM LTE will be assigned to 800 MHZ, 1800 MHZ and 2600MHZ. There is some very bad info out there claiming that it will 900 MHZ, I suggest you ignore it.

Now the UK is actually facing a "double whammy" issue right now concerning LTE.

1) The 800 MHZ auction has been delayed till the end of 2012.

This means no one can use it till the auction is complete and ALL TV station in that range convert to the HD signal range. That looks like a 2014 deal at the earliest. There are trials currently occurring for "testing" purposes, but that is to see how low of a wattage can be used and still maintain a viable data connection.

2) The 1800 MHZ range still has carriers on it using 2g and 3g transmission.

This one is really nasty because you have to start moving people around that already have established service.

Now the 2600 MHZ range is not viable at present because it can't penetrate most buildings without a lot of power (way more than a cell phones 3/4 watt transmitter can handle).

OP
L

Lunar

The frequencies mentioned were quoted from the governments own white paper, Though knowing this country until it's actually happened I take everything with a pinch of salt..lol One thing is certain, sadly none of them are compatible with the current iPad, so it's a none starter for current UK iPad3 owners even if it is way off in the future...lol So perhaps this fact should be made clear with a sticker on the iPad3 box. (FOR UK OWNERS THIS DEVICE IS 3G ONLY, IGNORE THE 4G CLAIM..lol)

Everything Mobil which just happens to own T-Mobile and Orange (the network I currently use for Phone and iPads), are doing trials which are still based on 3G, . They are calling it 3.5g, promising speed increases of around 50% over standard 3G.

As you rightly state, the auction for the frequences has not even started yet, will supposedly be later end of next year.
Actual 4G trials are starting in Bristol in April, but it looks as though some networks notably Orange and T-Mobil will be supplying some form of compromise as a interim measure. Which is great if they keep the price the same as normal 3g, as I'm sure 4G when it eventually surfaces for the masses will likely come with a premium price.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are plenty of cities across the US that don't have 4G...so even if you got a 4G model you can use the 4G service...and there is no telling when you will be able to, depending on where you live....so, there seems to be an impossible situation to make exceptional advertizing for every place.

Frankly, I was shocked to find that I live in a place where there is decent 4G coverage by Verison.

andytvcams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First things first i bought the ipad3 based on all the hype apple and pc world were advertising that the ipad 3 would be compatable with 4G in fact Apple went to great lenths in their advertising to tell us so call me slow but i dont live and breath apple and it was only last week when i was speaking to my phone provider Orange soon to become EE was i told that my 68GB ipad 3 was not compatable and now to add insult to injury i find out that Apple have withdrawn the ipad 3 and have launched the ipad 4 which is 4G i cannot tell you how upset i am with that news.
I would have thought under UK Law that Apple sold the ipad 3 under false advertising at the time of purchase.

harlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was not aware when I bought my iPad 3 that it would not work on 4G therefore I am calling Apple and ask them to change it so that it will wok. They advertised it that it would work.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will work at much faster speed than iPad 2 however it does not support the full performance LTE networks in both uk and Australia. Considering LTE is limited coverage it has not been a major issue. The new iPad 4 should be compatable as apple should have a version for Australia and uk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andytvcams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was not aware when I bought my iPad 3 that it would not work on 4G therefore I am calling Apple and ask them to change it so that it will wok. They advertised it that it would work.

Let us know how you get on with Apple but they will more than likely laugh in your face.

The only way you are going to get anywhere is by emailing the Advertising Standards Authority they are getting a fair few complaints
About Apple and the more they get the sooner they will act also email your local citizens advice they will then pass on your complaint to local trading standards

That's what I've done and so far I'm getting positive results.

Most reactions

Latest posts