What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3g saving tip, and for those without 3g!

Serianni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey I've got a 64gb verizon 3G ipad2 and I love being online everywhere. I fricken love my Netflix on it and didn't really wanna eat all my 3G plan using it so I smartened up a little :)
Not sure if many knew this but you can link your iPad to your smart phone using Bluetooth and get (somewhat) free internets.
First off I'm not sure how good this will work with an iPhone, I'm sire just fine but someone check for me!

I've got a droid 2 global and download a free app called PDA net. It has two options: USB or Bluetooth tether.
In order to get good use, you need to have an unlimited data plan on your phone.
I was gonna get the mobile hotspot on my phone but decided it was a rip off for twenty bucks you only get two gigs of wifi hotspotting. Pretty gay.

I turn on my bluetooth PDA net on my phone and set my phone to discoverable.

I go on my iPad settings, turn on Bluetooth and see my phone listed.

I click on it and it connects!

I believe it is called a "panu" connection or some sort.

Make sure you turn of your cellular network data on your iPad during this.

It works awesome! I watch my Netflix on it all the time when I'm not at a wifi connection.

When your iPad is connected it will say iPad in e upper left corner with a little chain link next to it.

:)

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, this is called tethering .With the new iOS 4.3.1 iPhones can now set up a wireless hotspot and allow anybody to use their 3G Internet but beware some providers like verizon detect such things and additional fees may apply .You shold check first because tethering eats a hole lot of traffic .

OP
Serianni

Serianni

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While said:
Yes, this is called tethering .With the new iOS 4.3.1 iPhones can now set up a wireless hotspot and allow anybody to use their 3G Internet but beware some providers like verizon detect such things and additional fees may apply .You shold check first because tethering eats a hole lot of traffic .

Ya my droid can make a hotspot as well. It just that both AT&T and Verizon charge you to use it and you only get limited use, like Verizon is 2 gigs. It's the same for droid and iPhone. This bypasses that and runs your iPad internet thru the phone as if you were using Internet on your phone. I've been doing it for a while and there has been no additional fees. I AM paying for unlimited 3G data plan so that's exactly what I better be getting ;)

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Important to note that the tethering through Android currently provides more options. The "PDANET" app will do the tethering through USB and Bluetooth. Whereas other android apps will do tether through wifi hotspot.

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes but even if you have a unlimited data plan on your smart phone , some providers detect tethering and charge you more .verizon for once does this.so if you have an unlimited 3G plan on your smartphone and tether it's Internet connection so it can be used on your iPad you might be billed extra.I might be wrong but this is the way I heard it.

hoshnasi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes but even if you have a unlimited data plan on your smart phone , some providers detect tethering and charge you more .verizon for once does this.so if you have an unlimited 3G plan on your smartphone and tether it's Internet connection so it can be used on your iPad you might be billed extra.I might be wrong but this is the way I heard it.

Ymmv but on tmobile, they have never caught on to my tethering. I am not a hardcore user but...

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then you have nothing to worry about :)

powerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have pdanet and it will pair but not connect. Do you have to have the paid version to get this to work? Using motorola droid and iPad wifi

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The carriers can detect wether you are tethering a device to your phone. But an interesting article came and and said "PDanet app on your jail broken iPhone is somehow masks that tethering tracking." as where the "miwi" app AT&T were able to track it.

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

laserguy007

iPF Novice
Reaction score
powerup said:
I have pdanet and it will pair but not connect. Do you have to have the paid version to get this to work? Using motorola droid and iPad wifi

I have an uncle who uses the unpaid app and connects his iPad 1 and my iPad 2 just fine. Try restarting the app. Even double tap the home button and kill the app then relaunch it.

Sent from my iPad 2 White 64GB + 3G Verizon using iPF

powerup

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I getter my laptop to my phone all the time with no problem. On version I just can't get iPad to connect through Bluetooth.

Most reactions