What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd iPad 2 - can they share same purchases

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekwash

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just purchased a 2nd iPad 2. Its for my 82 yr old father. He needs it for speech rehabilitation, after a stroke. There is a great speech rehab program for the iPad, that he is very familiar with from his therapy, in which an iPad was provided with this app on it, for him to use. He is now out of that therapy, though we all feel that the iPad and the app will continue to be of great help. The app is almost $200. He has no computer.

I am considering setting up his iPad to mirror mine. I don't mind purchasing the app, but do I have to purchase it twice? (one for his, one for mine). I won't use the app, but he will.

As I am preparing to set up his iPad, I have the option of setting up "a New iPad" or to restore from a previous backup of mine. If I set his up from a restore of mine, will our ipads be viewed as the same iPad? Are there pros and cons to this?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to have the app on both iPads no problem. Just set his iPad up under your Apple ID and you can share apps and other things purchased with you account.

I would set it up as a New iPad, because restoring it from one of your backups could cause problems. But I'm not exactly sure. It seems it will be easier to just set up his iPad under you Apple ID and pick what apps you want to put on there for him to use. And it will be easier to manage both iPads if they are using the same Apple ID.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When iCloud is released from beta in iOS 5, sharing the same iTunes account on multiple iPads where there are actually different users involved is going to get sticky. You may end up sharing some things between devices you did not mean to share.

-t

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
derek:

Please don't start two threads on the same topic. It splits up the discussion, makes it hard to follow and is against forum policy.

I'm closing this thread as the other thread you started has got more [different] responses.

Thanks.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts