What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Air - How to turn off auto tv when connected to a usb hub?

peaceridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ikling 9 in 1 hub and I am connecting to it an external hard drive and headphones. When I play a movie using the hub, the Air thinks it is playing on a tv instead of the Air screen, even though no tv is connected either by the hub or bluetooth. How can I turn the tv connection off?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i'm guessing your hub has a HDMI video out and the hub is identifying to the iPad sees it as a single device, not two separate devices; one audio and one video. Because of that you can't just redirect the audio. It is all or nothing.

If that is the case, I don't know of a workaround for this. You will probably just have to use bluetooth headphones, or play through the iPad's speakers.

If I'm right your hub will show up as only one device when you try to switch outputs using the Control Panel (see images). If I'm wrong, it should show up as two devices, one for headphones and one for video.

Attachments

• 1A2F0D4F-2F25-4D8F-AC2F-148D55B82962.jpeg
    1A2F0D4F-2F25-4D8F-AC2F-148D55B82962.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 51D61B73-1BCE-4DEC-B795-DBCC560D4957.jpeg
    51D61B73-1BCE-4DEC-B795-DBCC560D4957.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
OP
P

peaceridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much! You are correct. I'm a software person, not a hardware, so I've been looking in the wrong direction. You've saved me a lot of time. The Air is totally wonderful for why I bought it - procreate and reading pdfs. I was just trying to expand its capabilities. I'll figure out a workaround. Again thanks so much for replying to a newby - really new changing over from Windows ecosystem to Apple's.

Most reactions

Latest posts