What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.4Ghz N vs. 5.0Ghz N

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those with their Ipad who happen to have dual band routers, which frequency are you using and why? If I understand it correctly (and I probably don't) the 2.4 band has greater range, but the 5 band has better quality at its range.

Let me know your thoughts!

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those with their Ipad who happen to have dual band routers, which frequency are you using and why? If I understand it correctly (and I probably don't) the 2.4 band has greater range, but the 5 band has better quality at its range.

Let me know your thoughts!

Incorrect, according to the specifications N is the better band all the way around.

OP
M

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to be clear, a 2.4 N will work exactly as a 5 N? That implies that the only thing I need to worry about is possible channel interference. Is that right?

dwagner88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I have done extensive speed testing on my linksys wrt-610. The 5 ghz is slower everywhere except in the same room as the router due to a weak signal. The 2.4 is faster once you get about 20-30 feet away from the router, and its range is much greater. Obviously this may not apply to every dual band router, but that has been my experience.

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes, and the range shouldn't be an issue as most of the homes in the US are build of wood and not concrete (except office buildings).

Here at my place I had to install three (3) access points, one on every floor, because of the amount of steel which was put into the concrete ceilings. All of them are Apple Airport Extreme and combined into a WDS (wireless distribution).

Wireless lan is typically limited by natural obstacles (flowers, trees...) and brick/concrete walls. But most of the other radio controlled devices use the same bandwidth and cause interference.

Most reactions

Latest posts