What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.4 GHz vs 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi

tfisher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both frequencies on my home network. Which one should be used for which functions on my iPad?

mossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a dual-band router as well. I've been keeping my iPAD on the 2.4 frequency and have had no issues. I haven't tried 5GHz

RickPrather

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since my iMac has 802.11n built in, I prefer to keep my Airport on 11n/5.8 Ghz to avoid conflicts with my 5 or 6 neighbors that are on 2.4.

It also makes me feel a little more secure since no one around here is on 5.8.

Kargurin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a Linksys e3000 which is their best.....and have no luck with 5K. Maybe it's my house and the walls but my 5K signal is not strong about 30 feet away. No problems at 2.4K.

WayneF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netgear 37AV

Just got my duel band router setup today and tried both the 2.4 and 5 GHz on my iPad2.
Have no problem connecting on either, but I notice the 5GHz has weaker signal strength. That's with the iPad setting about 2 feet away from the router.
Speed wise I see no difference so am leaving it set at 2.4 for the better signal.

Most reactions