What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 hour Battery? I Don't Think So

mjkoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's refurbished, certified and all that, but the most important thing about any tablet or laptop for me is that battery. The only thing I've loaded on this tablet is the Adobe Connect (that I've only used once), and after a week of using it to learn how to "use" it, I'm finding that after 2 hours and 28 minutes, my 100% fully charged iPad drops down to 19% (7:40am - 10:13am this morning). This is unacceptable, even for a refurbished tablet on the IOS side of the fence.
This is a 128GB tablet, and it came with the usual bundle that comes with iPads (so I'm told), and all I've been doing is reading email, and following instructions on updating, setting clocks, contacts.
Oh, and I come from a family of HP employees, so I know about batteries, what to do when you get your computer, how to care for, what to expect and the right way to recharge them. So, I'm not new to this, only to Apple products.
Tell me, is this what I'm to expect from a refurbished tablet, or is there something wrong here?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Since you posted in the 'iPad Air Forum', please tell us whether you have an iPad Air (Oct 2013 release) or an iPad Air 2 (Oct 2014 release); and also we need to know if the 'refurbished' device was purchased from Apple or a non-Apple seller?

Apple's refurbs have a brand new battery and a one year warranty w/ the option to purchase Apple Care, so if bought from them, your issue should be easy to resolve. If purchased from a non-Apple source, were you given any information on 'what' was done? The batteries on those Airs, if original ones, are now going on 4-5 years - I've had an Air 2 since 2014 and the 'battery health' has deteriorated to about 60% and I'm getting just about half the power life when the device was new - I'm planning to get a new iPad soon and will sell the Air 2 on Glyde.

Now if you are 'stuck' w/ the iPad, i.e. no return policy nor warranty, then a new battery replacement done by Apple is $99 USD (LINK) - if you decide to go this route, backup your iPad for a likely restoration, you probably will receive another refurbished device. Good luck and let us know your results. Dave

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There must be something wrong here, mjkoz. An iPad Air, even a refurbished one, should last way longer than the 3 hours you’ve described. This is not an iPad in great condition, and certainly not “like new”, as described on Amazon.

You’re still within the 90 day period where you can decide whether or not to give it back.

I owned an iPad Air (first generation), and gave it to my daughter this year. It still lasts for quite a while, and she certainly has more apps installed on it than you do.

Most reactions

Latest posts