What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zip files for iPad

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I did a search but didn't find any info about whether there is a general app that lets me zip/unzip all files on the iPad. Not just a zip function within an app like Pages but one that will save storage space for any file ( not necessarily every file ) on my iPad.
I am looking forward to your input!
I used to zip my art works on windows and it seemed very easy to do. However this is a whole new OS as well as device. I know nothing. I went to look in the App Store and got very confused. So tell me all please, I will be very grateful. You might have to dummy down the terms for me. Thanks, Diane.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First you must understand that iOS is app-based rather than file-based, so you can't just save a file, each file must be saved within an appropriate app. And, even then a file cannot be accessed from another app unless it's shared to another app from its "home app" using the Share Sheet. This is an example of the sandboxing feature of iOS.

If you want .zip capability you'll have to find an app that offers that capability and extract the file inside that specific app. If you want to open the extracted files in another app you'll have to "share" those files from within the app that extracted the .zip file.

I hope that helps you understand the system a little better.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Documents by Readdle is a good overall file manager. It will perform as you specified in original post. And much more.
Another vote for Documents by Readdle. I quite like this app and I use it extensively for its iCloud storage capability. Agreed, it's a good all-around file manager.

Most reactions

Latest posts