What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet ANOTHER newbie!.. ' Can't seem to be able to type message in the Message box...!

Starfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I am now the nauseatingly proud owner of an iPad 2, as of Saturday!
Oh, I DO like it! I have been a deprived (hopefully, not depraved!) individual, longing to own an iPad for so long.. - And now I have a band new, shiny, super-sexy (OK, don't go mad!) iPad 2! Oh, the joy of it all..!

am still finding my way around it and am in the process of downloading/installing the OS upgrade..

'Haven't been able to view any videos on it yet, despite having converted several .avi files & imported into iTunes... but having read one of your threads, maybe a power shutdown might jump-start this facility (or a swift kick to the chips, if all else fails!)....

OP
S

Starfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am now the nauseatingly proud owner of an iPad 2, as of Saturday! Oh, I DO like it! I have been a deprived (hopefully, not depraved!) individual, longing to own an iPad for so long.. - And now I have a band new, shiny, super-sexy (OK, don't go mad!) iPad 2! Oh, the joy of it all..! am still finding my way around it and am in the process of downloading/installing the OS upgrade.. 'Haven't been able to view any videos on it yet, despite having converted several .avi files & imported into iTunes... but having read one of your threads, maybe a power shutdown might jump-start this facility (or a swift kick to the chips, if all else fails!)....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am now the nauseatingly proud owner of an iPad 2, as of Saturday! Oh, I DO like it! I have been a deprived (hopefully, not depraved!) individual, longing to own an iPad for so long.. - And now I have a band new, shiny, super-sexy (OK, don't go mad!) iPad 2! Oh, the joy of it all..! am still finding my way around it and am in the process of downloading/installing the OS upgrade.. 'Haven't been able to view any videos on it yet, despite having converted several .avi files & imported into iTunes... but having read one of your threads, maybe a power shutdown might jump-start this facility (or a swift kick to the chips, if all else fails!)....

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Kicking the chips!! I like it - I feel that sometimes myself!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

OP
S

Starfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Many thanks for getting back to me..

Panic over; after the s/ware upgrade install & restart, the videos appeared AOK

Thanks also for the pointer to the iPad 2 PDF manual. but how the hell do I SAVE the thing?..

Steve

OP
S

Starfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't know there was a 'reply' tab on downloading a .PDF.. (or were you replying about my original messaging problem..?)

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Welcome! Yes you have been deprived to have waited so long for an iPad. Tell me how do you find the iPad 2?

Me being an iPad 1 owner I am looking for reasons to upgrade, or not upgrade and I find the best reviews come from genuine people that own them, not companies etc etc.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Many thanks for getting back to me..

Panic over; after the s/ware upgrade install & restart, the videos appeared AOK

Thanks also for the pointer to the iPad 2 PDF manual. but how the hell do I SAVE the thing?..

Steve

When it's displaying on the screen in Safari, briefly touch the screen and a menu bar will appear at the top of the screen. One of the items there is a 'curly arrow' icon and, if you touch that, it will offer you the option to 'Open in iBooks'. Select that and you'll be transferred out of Safari into iBooks and, a few seconds later, it will appear on your iBooks bookshelf.

Tim

akintomide

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Starfish said:
Hi everyone.
I am now the nauseatingly proud owner of an iPad 2, as of Saturday!
Oh, I DO like it! I have been a deprived (hopefully, not depraved!) individual, longing to own an iPad for so long.. - And now I have a band new, shiny, super-sexy (OK, don't go mad!) iPad 2! Oh, the joy of it all..!

am still finding my way around it and am in the process of downloading/installing the OS upgrade..

'Haven't been able to view any videos on it yet, despite having converted several .avi files & imported into iTunes... but having read one of your threads, maybe a power shutdown might jump-start this facility (or a swift kick to the chips, if all else fails!)....

Congrats Starfish. How I wish I had enrolled in this forum since Sep 2010 when i got my first iPad. I'm so sure you have started well by coming here. I am not really sure if Apple encourages video from other formats. I had to buy several iTunes video and I'm better off for that. My favourite film, The Champ, came in handy when I'm bored with what is being offered in the Aircraft while on a long journey.

OMG I need an ipad 2.

OP
S

Starfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brindley said:
Welcome! Yes you have been deprived to have waited so long for an iPad. Tell me how do you find the iPad 2?

Me being an iPad 1 owner I am looking for reasons to upgrade, or not upgrade and I find the best reviews come from genuine people that own them, not companies etc etc.

Hi Brindley!
I am loving the iPad 2 - am discovering new things with it all the time.! I can now actually watch NASA TV live @ 1 of many local cages with 'net access!! i'm in heaven!
Also being able to download & view .PDF files as they should be.. That much less paper to have to carry, lose, etc.
Am also 'having fun' converting many .avi files to MP4 to be able to view on i2; the viewing quality & enjoyment makes the whole exercise worth it, though.
having got this beautiful piece of kit on Saturday, I have to admit that I haven't done a hell of a lot of work (self-employed potter)!...
Hey, if you want to upgrade to i2, just convince yourself that you're doing it for 'world peace', 'the betterment of humanity', ANYTHING! I don't think you'll regret it!

OP
S

Starfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
When it's displaying on the screen in Safari, briefly touch the screen and a menu bar will appear at the top of the screen. One of the items there is a 'curly arrow' icon and, if you touch that, it will offer you the option to 'Open in iBooks'. Select that and you'll be transferred out of Safari into iBooks and, a few seconds later, it will appear on your iBooks bookshelf.

Tim

Yes, I managed to do that with another .PDF I was trying to save, whilst 'pootling' about. Many thanks for the pointer though, and your consideration to help me (us all!) out.
Steve

OP
S

Starfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
akintomide said:
Congrats Starfish. How I wish I had enrolled in this forum since Sep 2010 when i got my first iPad. I'm so sure you have started well by coming here. I am not really sure if Apple encourages video from other formats. I had to buy several iTunes video and I'm better off for that. My favourite film, The Champ, came in handy when I'm bored with what is being offered in the Aircraft while on a long journey.

OMG I need an ipad 2.

Oh, you SO do! Treat yourself to one, for 'world peace', 'the betterment of all humanity', ANYTHING! You'll feel so much better for it!

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Hi Brindley!
I am loving the iPad 2 - am discovering new things with it all the time.! I can now actually watch NASA TV live @ 1 of many local cages with 'net access!! i'm in heaven!
Also being able to download & view .PDF files as they should be.. That much less paper to have to carry, lose, etc.
Am also 'having fun' converting many .avi files to MP4 to be able to view on i2; the viewing quality & enjoyment makes the whole exercise worth it, though.
having got this beautiful piece of kit on Saturday, I have to admit that I haven't done a hell of a lot of work (self-employed potter)!...
Hey, if you want to upgrade to i2, just convince yourself that you're doing it for 'world peace', 'the betterment of humanity', ANYTHING! I don't think you'll regret it!

I went to the shop today and was looking at the iPad 2. Well, tempting myself to buy one, but I didn't, I resisted! I wish I hadn't now! I am completely desperate for one!

iPad's are definitely the most fantastic tool. I don't know how I or anyone else managed without one! They can do everything, and store everything together, no more sheets of papers haha yes which become lost very easily!

I think I may take your advise and convince myself that I must have the iPad 2. I deserve it...haha! Thanks for letting me know how you find it and I hope you find out lots of other features of the iPad 2 soon!

OP
S

Starfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Brindley said:
I went to the shop today and was looking at the iPad 2. Well, tempting myself to buy one, but I didn't, I resisted! I wish I hadn't now! I am completely desperate for one!

iPad's are definitely the most fantastic tool. I don't know how I or anyone else managed without one! They can do everything, and store everything together, no more sheets of papers haha yes which become lost very easily!

I think I may take your advise and convince myself that I must have the iPad 2. I deserve it...haha! Thanks for letting me know how you find it and I hope you find out lots of other features of the iPad 2 soon!

Yes, the number of times I have gone to a shop/store to 'sniff around' an 'object of desire', drooling over it, then turning on my heel, walking out, getting home, and then chiding myself for not having got the thing... ho hum.. One of life's little learning experiences, I guess.

Look at it this way: If you satisfy your lust, YOU'll feel better and everyone around you will (possibly) feel better, basking in the radiance of your supreme satisfaction..! As long as little children nor aged parents go hungry from your expenditure, where's the problem..? If YOU go hungry, at least it'll be in style, happy in the knowledge that you are now infinitely better off with this glorious piece of electronic enlightenment!

Most reactions