What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Writing on Photos

Hamltnblue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello
Is there an app for Ipad pro that allows you to take a picture and write/draw on it?
When doing estimates for my job I would like to do just that. Take pictures during project walk-thru and jotting down notes or annotating the pic.
Thanks

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's built into the Photos app. Take the picture, then save it. Open it in Photos. In the upper right corner, select Edit, then from the tools on the right, tap on the circle at the bottom with three dots in it. Choose Markup, pick a brush and color, and start drawing.

The Skitch app used to be a good annotation tool, but it got "updated" and now I can't figure it out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are running iOS 11, you can take and annotate photos direclty in the Notes app; which would let you keep them better organized than you can using the Photos app.

To take a photo in the notes app, tap the (+) icon and choose Take Photo or Video. To annoate a photo in the Notes app, double tap on the note in the photo. When it expands tap the pen icon.

8B1216D0-5543-4A9E-B583-1C08F0077D06.png

Annotating a picture in the Notes app using the built in tools

If you want a more complete set of tools than those built into iOS, the Annotable app by Ling Wang is pretty good. It’s a worthy succesor of the Skitch app that LannyC mentioned. Using the Share sheet you can use Annotable to markup inside other apps, and in most cases the changes will be saved back to that app.This includes both Photos and Notes.

E7D96089-78FC-492A-AFE0-DD114C40E3BE.jpeg

Annotating a screenshot in the Photos app usiing the Annotable app via the Share Sheet

There are a few other decent annotation apps, but they tend to be more specialized than Annotable. The only one I can remembe off the top of my head is PointOut. It specializes in highlighting and/or magnifying a portion of the photo, and has more powerful tools than Annotable along those lines.

Note: Skitch was purchased by Evernote. After they incorporated many of it’s features into Evernote, the app was abandoned. To be fair, they added quite a few features between it’s purchase and eventual demise.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts