What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you guys bring this back?

timothyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I had an iPad 2 back in the day and I absolutely loved it. I really had no problems with it -- I just used it for everything. I had to sell it unfortunately because I needed the cash back then but I just got the 4 recently. I actually got so annoyed with the light bleeding on the 3 when I bought one that I returned it. I had never had any issues with it on my iPad 2, iPhone, MacBook Pro, or iMacs with screen issues so it caught me by surprise while watching Netflix on the 3.

Now I have my 64gb $830 LTE ipad and of course it has light bleeding. My question to you is how much is acceptable? Do you guys have this issue? Do you think this amount of bleeding is worth returning for another? Do all iPads have light bleeding? It's tough because the staff get annoyed and pretends like it's not an issue at all. This was taken with full brightness in a dark room. I don't use it at full brightness but I definitely notice it while watching Netflix in bed (full disclosure.) I am not trying to be mega critical here but I would love your input -- would you guys bring it back? I also took a pic of the white image. It makes me mad because I was $830 but I know these devices aren't perfect.

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/3540/imageqjs.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/9798/imagepnwh.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
timothyj said:
Hi guys!

I had an iPad 2 back in the day and I absolutely loved it. I really had no problems with it -- I just used it for everything. I had to sell it unfortunately because I needed the cash back then but I just got the 4 recently. I actually got so annoyed with the light bleeding on the 3 when I bought one that I returned it. I had never had any issues with it on my iPad 2, iPhone, MacBook Pro, or iMacs with screen issues so it caught me by surprise while watching Netflix on the 3.

Now I have my 64gb $830 LTE ipad and of course it has light bleeding. My question to you is how much is acceptable? Do you guys have this issue? Do you think this amount of bleeding is worth returning for another? Do all iPads have light bleeding? It's tough because the staff get annoyed and pretends like it's not an issue at all. This was taken with full brightness in a dark room. I don't use it at full brightness but I definitely notice it while watching Netflix in bed (full disclosure.) I am not trying to be mega critical here but I would love your input -- would you guys bring it back? I also took a pic of the white image. It makes me mad because I was $830 but I know these devices aren't perfect.

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/3540/imageqjs.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/9798/imagepnwh.jpg

All iPad screens have light bleeding to one degree or another. It can range from barely noticeable to very annoying. Yours is closer to the low end of the scale. if you need a pitch black room and a black screen to see the light bleeding it's quite minor. In regards to your first picture, is the light bleeding noticeable at normal room illumination with content on the screen? I don't see any light bleeding at all in your second photo?

If you aren't satisfied with the scree, I suggest you make a Genius Bar appointment at an AppleStore to see if they'll give you a replacement. If they do, check the screen in the store before bringing the replacement home.

BTW, ake sure to backup your iPad before going to the AppleStore, you can set up the replacement from the backup of the old iPad.

OP
timothyj

timothyj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
All iPad screens have light bleeding to one degree or another. It can range from barely noticeable to very annoying. Yours is closer to the low end of the scale. if you need a pitch black room and a black screen to see the light bleeding it's quite minor. In regards to your first picture, is the light bleeding noticeable at normal room illumination with content on the screen? I don't see any light bleeding at all in your second photo?

If you aren't satisfied with the scree, I suggest you make a Genius Bar appointment at an AppleStore to see if they'll give you a replacement. If they do, check the screen in the store before bringing the replacement home.

BTW, ake sure to backup your iPad before going to the AppleStore, you can set up the replacement from the backup of the old iPad.

Thanks Scififan -- have you had light bleeding like this on your ipad(s?) I can't decide if it warrants an exchange - I'm almost scared to get something worse. But it is noticeable in a moderately dimmed room during normal use.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
timothyj said:
Thanks Scififan -- have you had light bleeding like this on your ipad(s?) I can't decide if it warrants an exchange - I'm almost scared to get something worse. But it is noticeable in a moderately dimmed room during normal use.

My iPad 2 has a little bleeding along the lower edge, but it's unnoticeable when actually using the iPad.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
My iPad 2 has a little bleeding along the lower edge, but it's unnoticeable when actually using the iPad.

I had mine replaced with AppleCare. This 2 is actually only a few months old.

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe some people just may never be able to except how their iPads screens look to them. Might be in the eye of the beholder or something like it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have seen much worse light bleed then this. Show us a picture of the screen in normal use...then we can help you. This looks meaningless.

Some people seem to think it is possible to make every screen perfect. It is not. I have a ton of tablets in here and they all have various amounts of light bleed. My Nexus 10 is probably the worse one, but not so bad that I feel the need to return it.

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen much worse light bleed then this. Show us a picture of the screen in normal use...then we can help you. This looks meaningless.

Some people seem to think it is possible to make every screen perfect. It is not. I have a ton of tablets in here and they all have various amounts of light bleed. My Nexus 10 is probably the worse one, but not so bad that I feel the need to return it.

If I start returning everything I buy that is not 100% perfect, I would end up with nothing. After working at installing items and getting your tablet to work, you have a lot invested in it. so unless it is a major item I just live with it. Maybe I just am not looking at my screen as close as others. Oh well...

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
runningbear29 said:
If I start returning everything I buy that is not 100% perfect, I would end up with nothing. After working at installing items and getting your tablet to work, you have a lot invested in it. so unless it is a major item I just live with it. Maybe I just am not looking at my screen as close as others. Oh well...

Not me... These things cost too much money to not have them work right. What if it stops working altogether? My 4 has been shutting down on its own lately. Dunno if it is the apps or the iPad. I am watching it. I have 2 years to replace it if necessary :).

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not me... These things cost too much money to not have them work right. What if it stops working altogether? My 4 has been shutting down on its own lately. Dunno if it is the apps or the iPad. I am watching it. I have 2 years to replace it if necessary :).

It it running on battery or is it plugged in? Mine are always used inside home on WiFi so they are never unplugged.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Full brightness in a dark room.......really?

How is that realistic?
My brightness is never more than about 30 - 40% and I never operate the iPad with zero room lighting.....hard on the eyes for one thing.
If you have an issue in "normal operation" then take it back......otherwise your being way to picky IMHO.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't expect perfection, which I think is unrealistic. If leakage interfered with my normal use, I'd have gone for an exchange right off, without checking with other users, because if you're using it and it bugs you, that's all that matters.

My household has had six iPads (three currently), and all of them had slight light bleed under full brightness in a dark room. Since I never use an iPad in those conditions, the leakages are irrelevant to me.

Rperez414

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the 4 and my my wife has a 2 and her ipad 2 has worse light leakage than my new 4. You just got lucky with your first one.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
runningbear29 said:
It it running on battery or is it plugged in? Mine are always used inside home on WiFi so they are never unplugged.

Can't remember, could be both as I use mine while its charging as well. I need to plug it in now as it is on 29% ;)

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't remember, could be both as I use mine while its charging as well. I need to plug it in now as it is on 29% ;)

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

I unplugged mine a short time only dropped from 100% to 92% while just looking at web pages, not a real test to see anything but I had no shutting down of my iPad. We do both have the same type of iPad4s.

Most reactions