What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word Processing Apps for ipad2?

rogerschwartz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here & I greet you all well. I want to be able to print from my ipad to the printer connected to my laptop & to the ipad by WiFi. There are a few WP apps - both Free & at a price - and I spent most of yesterday updating the iOS from 4.4.3 to 7.1.1. Yep, you've guessed I'm totally IT illiterate. My problem is that I can't find one with a print option. I had hoped there would be something similar to Word which I know fairly well, but, in the apps listed I can't seem to find a create document tab or print button. The ipad is 'aware' of the printer & happily prints to it through a 'print to' app. But i can't get the WP apps to do this or to save or transfer the document to the print to app. Does anyone know an app which will do the entire job or, least, transfer a doc to the print app? Many, many thanks.

Roger Scvhwartz

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Roger - welcome to the forum! :)

As already mentioned, there are plenty of word processing apps for iOS 7.x and Office suites - just visit the App Store and do a search using 'word processor' which will generate plenty of hits; read the reviews or visit the website of one or several that might interest you - the better ones will likely cost you a minimal or modest amount.

For myself, I use Apple's Pages (part of a suite w/ Numbers & Keynote - these three apps are 'pad equivalents' of Word, Excel, & Powerpoint) - Pages has a print option (see attachment from my iPad w/ the app open and a template document selected; the blue arrow points to the 'Tools' icon - a print option is available and a printer can be selected).

The printer must be 'AirPrint' compatible (info & qualifying printers HERE) or an app can be used to 'mimic' Apples wireless print technology - you might want to provide us w/ the brand/model of your printer and also the app for printing you mention in the OP? Good luck - Dave
photo.PNG

OP
R

rogerschwartz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Dave. It's very informative. My printer is a Dell C1765NFW which is not in the list. I have to admit printing thru WiFi wasn't a factor when I bought it . I didn't come across the phrase "Air Print" until today when Pages told me it couldn't find an air print on my ipad ( & I had no idea what it meant until I read the article you sent!!). The print app is Dell's Mobile Print which lists the printer. Is there no way I can get Pages & other apps to work through this or to recognise a default printer? It's so much easier to do this on the laptop - even I can manage it!! Thanks & regards, Roger
'

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it works the same as with my printer (Canon), then this should help you print a Pages file through the printer app:

When the file is opened, tap the "Share" button, then "Open in another app":

image-3610980588.jpg

Select the format:

image-2774316824.jpg

Now select "Choose app":

image-3132317958.jpg

And slide to the left/right until you find the printer app:

image-3926529643.jpg

Tap the app, and the file should open there, thus enabling you to print.

Hope that helps.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
j.A ..... One of your pics shows an epub app. What is this, where is it available? Have tried app store with no result.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts