What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows running faster on your iPad than your laptop? Sure, why not.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the video below is a real world demonstration in terms of speed and accessibility of remote cloud OS on the iPad, there's a lot of potential on our magical tablet yet to be discovered for those looking for something beyond iOS.

Video: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8sTY_Fmzo[/ame]
Molten Technologies cloud served OS

From there, if one wanted a traditional laptop look and feel, (the clamcase is pictured below for $99), one could nearly pass an iPad off as a windows powered netbook, without trying too hard.

clamcase_windows.png

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Watched the video. It looks good but this is the first I've seen this. Surprised something like Engadget hasn't picked it up. After going to their site it appears they are aiming at corporate clients and Europe but it certainly does show the possibilities.

Last edited:

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I am just wondering if it will be anywhere near close to affordable. In just reading the brochure it appears that you would pay a monthly service fee ($400 - $500?) and rates are not mentioned anywhere.

Looks good on paper, but not something I would personally pay for.

OP
xune

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am just wondering if it will be anywhere near close to affordable. In just reading the brochure it appears that you would pay a monthly service fee ($400 - $500?) and rates are not mentioned anywhere.

Looks good on paper, but not something I would personally pay for.

Actually, it doesn't look good on paper at all! lol (it does, however, look fantastic in the video)
At that rate, I would agree that $400-$500 is far too pricey for the average user, but if serving a company/corporation, with multiple users, I could see it as not only practical, but affordable.

With speeds akin to what's seen in the video combined with the portability of the iPad, productivity would soar!

A means of running other OS's, such as windows, for single users like most of us would be downloading apps such as the one from Citrix and running your own client/server.

Last edited:

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I agree. I use Splashtop to connect home all the time with no issue. I dont see a "cloud vm" being faster than my media server at home which was custom built.

No, for individuals, this is not a solution. Corporate training rooms, maybe - but again, depends on a price. I set up a couple training rooms using dumb terminals that remoted into a couple racks of blade PCs. Total desktop cost after setting up the whole thing was $800 per desk, however in a training environment, the blade images could be redone in 30 mins - all 30 PCs. Also, the more that went in, the less the desk price was. And that was a 1-time cost...

I don't even think I would pay even $15 a month - would not use it enough...

Most reactions

Latest posts