What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows Access files 2013 How do I get those files to the ipad2 ?

OlderGuy3128

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I created some access phone lists that I wanted to transfer to the ipad2. The ITunes app DocsToGo doesn't handle those databases. So how do I get databases created in either Windows Access 2013 or Access 2010 to my ipad2 ?

I am looking for recommendations for a good program(s) that others are currently using, that doesn't take two days of configuring to make it work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's a tough one. I know there are a few apps in the App Store that claim compatibility. Search for 'Access Database' (without the quotes) if you haven't already done so. I've never heard of an easy/powerful solution for this need.

Most of the databases you'll find for the iPad are single purpose, like inventory, library, contacts, etc. The only two decent, more or less, general databases that I know of are FormConnect and HanDBase. Neither of which are Access compatible.

I miss Bento, which was discontinued. I understand File Pro Go for File Pro database is good. But you would have to switch not only your database program but you computing platform, and spend a bucket of money. None of which you're likely to find practical.

Good luck.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Twerppoet has pretty much given you the bad news and suggested some alternative apps.

Bottom line is you are unable to use Access DBs in their native format on the iPad, sorry. I migrated from Windows to Mac OS last spring and had 6 personal Access DBs, four of which were either converted to other formats or replaced w/ a dedicated app; the two that I updated and printed out before donating my Dell desktop were 26 & 48 pages in length - I would need to use a Windows computer w/ Access to edit these files in that format.

For a number of my 'shorter' Access DBs, I simply exported them as Excel files (other options are available, such as CSV, i.e. comma separated values) and was able to bring each into Numbers (Apple's Excel equivalent w/ both iOS & OS X versions); there are other apps that can accomplish the same transfer.

SO, hoping your files are not too long, this is about the best advice that I can offer having just gone through the frustrating experience. Dave :)

OP
O

OlderGuy3128

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Twerppoet has pretty much given you the bad news and suggested some alternative apps.

Bottom line is you are unable to use Access DBs in their native format on the iPad, sorry. I migrated from Windows to Mac OS last spring and had 6 personal Access DBs, four of which were either converted to other formats or replaced w/ a dedicated app; the two that I updated and printed out before donating my Dell desktop were 26 & 48 pages in length - I would need to use a Windows computer w/ Access to edit these files in that format.

For a number of my 'shorter' Access DBs, I simply exported them as Excel files (other options are available, such as CSV, i.e. comma separated values) and was able to bring each into Numbers (Apple's Excel equivalent w/ both iOS & OS X versions); there are other apps that can accomplish the same transfer.

SO, hoping your files are not too long, this is about the best advice that I can offer having just gone through the frustrating experience. Dave :)
===================
August 20, 2014
On a complete "hunch" I looked at the Apple App "Documents to Go" (already on my ipad2 and discovered that it handles Windows Excel files. The files I have are simple. I just needed them to display. So I transferred the access information to a new excel database (which appears to be somewhat similar to access) and now my excel file shows up in DocsTo Go.

This is one of 7 other reasons I only give the ipad2 6 1/2 stars out of 10. There are a bunch of things on the ipad2 that are not thought through. Why would I want to experiment PAINFULLY with an unknown app spending 48 hours of trial and error configuring and find out it doesn't work, or it works very poorly ? If you pay for the app and it doesn't work, then you have wasted your money.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't think it is reasonable to blame Apple for Microsoft choosing not to support Access on the iPad. How can Apple 'think through' the availability of apps that they have no control over? You might as well blame Microsoft for not having FileMaker Pro compatibility.

There have been Office compatible apps for the iPad, almost from day one. {Documents to Go was one of the first} None of them support Access, which leads me to believe that either the implementation or licensing of Access compatible apps is a major hurdle.

That said, the three main MS Office apps (Word, Excel, Power Point) are available on the iPad; as of a few months ago. They are read-only unless you have an Office 365 account. Again, this is entirely up to Microsoft.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
===================
August 20, 2014
On a complete "hunch" I looked at the Apple App "Documents to Go" (already on my ipad2 and discovered that it handles Windows Excel files. The files I have are simple.......

Well, you likely did not read our 'helpful' suggestions when indicating your 'complete hunch' - a solution was given previously to convert your files to Excel and import into one of a number of iPad apps that can use that file format.

===================
This is one of 7 other reasons I only give the ipad2 6 1/2 stars out of 10. There are a bunch of things on the ipad2 that are not thought through. Why would I want to experiment PAINFULLY with an unknown app spending 48 hours of trial and error configuring and find out it doesn't work, or it works very poorly ? If you pay for the app and it doesn't work, then you have wasted your money.

I'm sure many of us would be curious about your 7 reasons for markedly downgrading the iPad - there are plenty of solutions in trying to use the device for purposes more familiar than those on a standard computer. Often these solutions can be solved by asking the right question here before 'spending 48 hours of trial and error'?

Also, Access is a complex relational database that simply is not compatible in its native file format w/ any other DB, including the overly expensive File Maker Pro (I've been on their website and asked several questions there - bottom line NOT POSSILBE). And keep in mind that MS after porting over their Office Suite to iOS did not include Access - probably not worth their time or expense or anticipated return finacially.
Dave :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts