What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saving win 8.1 files to a ipad 2

daddywoofdawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some how-to doc files I want to load on to my Ipad2 they are on my win machine;I don't have wi-fi where I will be using the Ipad,so I thought I could download/transfer a copy of those files to the Ipad and use the info there.how do I get the info over to the ipad from my win machine,and then where are the files kept/how do i access them on the apple?I'm a noob with apple.I have wi-fi at home and the Ipad works at home.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, what is the format of the files, e.g. *.doc, *.PDF, etc.? Depending on their format (or one that can be changed), you will need an app on the iPad to view the files - as an example, I usually view my PDF documents either in iBooks or GoodReader.

Second, your can transfer files easily over a Wi-Fi network, some choices: 1) Email files to yourself and then open on the iPad (depending on the above); 2) Obtain a Dropbox Account (put the app on both of your devices - place the files there on your Windows machine, and then open then in the iOS app on your device); and 3) use Apple's iCloud (plenty of Apple support articles on the topic). Dave

OP
D

daddywoofdawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both *.doc, *.PDF.doesn't a dropbox have to use the net to access them? or will I be able to just download and save? again I will have no access to internet at the other location.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have both *.doc, *.PDF.doesn't a dropbox have to use the net to access them? or will I be able to just download and save? again I will have no access to internet at the other location.

Well, my assumption is that when you do have Wi-Fi access, the files can be sent to the iPad and saved there w/i one of the apps (or others) mentioned - once on your device, the documents can be read w/o a wireless connection.

Dropbox can be used to transfer your files, but once w/i the app on your iDevice, these files can be moved elsewhere or left there (i.e. the Dropbox storage on your iPad is NOT deleted automatically when you are not online).

As to PDF files, solutions already given - as to *.doc or *.docx documents, GoodReader can save and open those files, but there are other solutions, e.g. exportation from Word as PDF documents or other iPad apps, such as Pages, Evernote, etc. - again, all of these programs can save files that can be read when you do not have an internet connection. Dave :)

OP
D

daddywoofdawg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok thanks,where are they save on ipad?what is the program called?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ok thanks,where are they save on ipad?what is the program called?

Well, you are obviously coming over to the 'dark side' from the Windows world - ;)

iOS is an app-centric operating system (unlike the file-centric nature of Windows w/ Explorer) - apps are 'sandboxed' and 'data' related to an app is stored w/i their own sandboxes, i.e. there is not a central depository, like 'Documents' were all of your information is kept. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Documents by Readdle will store, organize, and view many file types (Office, PDF, text, iWorks, and more); though the display may not be exactly the same as if you opened them in the native apps. You can choose a variety of ways to download them from your computer to the iPad.

I have it, but don't' use it myself, mostly because I already have apps for each file type and prefer to keep them in those apps instead of re-organizing everything. Also because I don't keep a lot of reference files for reading, and the few I do are PDF, so I keep them in iBooks with my other manuals and documentation.

For .doc files the best possible choice is Microsoft's own Word for iPad app. You'll need a free Office 365 account to use it properly.

Most reactions