What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will I get good intenet coverage in Asia with the iPad Mini

Vstar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]I am planning on buying an iPad mini [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Wi-Fi + Cellular [/FONT][FONT=&amp]with accessories but I would like some further information if you do not mind answering some questions because I am still learning about these new technologies.[/FONT]

I understand that AT & T, Sprint and Verizon are American service data providers. I live in the UK and will be travelling around the world, particularly New Zealand, Australia, South Pacific and South East Asia. Some areas I may be travelling to may not have Wifi coverage:
- I would like to know what British service data provider, provide internet coverage worldwide - that would not be costly to use the iPad mini aboard?

- I have heard about some gadget that a person can connect their iPad mini or mobile phone to and use a Sim Card in the country they are visiting. What is this call?

- And are there any restrictions to the use of this gadget and the Sim Card?

Thank you.

hoben02

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my last trip to china i used an ipad 3 with wifi only every place, hostel had free wifi for paying guests just a natter of getting the password

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iPads are not generally locked to a particular service provider but the supported 3G and LTE bands on the iPad may not properly match the bands used in your destination countries. Newer iPads and iPhones support more LTE bands than the older devices. Using a SIM card from your UK service provider in your destination countries would run up very large roaming charges for cellular data use. Your best bet is to get a local pre-paid SIM card for each of the countries you travel to. You can take advantage of any available WiFi to reduce your cellular data use.

This page has the technical specifications for every iPad model. Apple iPad Specs (All iPad Technical Specifications) @ EveryiPad.com
You may want to check out which iPad mini WiFi plus cellular model has enough available bands to offer good coverage in the countries you intend to visit.
The original iPad Mini would likely not be suitable. Your best bet, if you can afford it, would be the iPad Mini 4 or iPad Air 2 WiFi plus cellular models as they offer the most available LTE bands.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts