What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi problems after repair

Victoriaann502

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently had my IPad 2 repaired, front screen and back. However now the wifi signal is really strange, I have to be literally sat on the router and its really slow?? Both at my mums and sisters it was fine before the repair and on ios 5.

The repairers failed to send the Sim card slot back so it hasn't got its own network, or that part of the casinng covered, would this effect signal on wifi??

Any help would be appreciated :D

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently had my IPad 2 repaired, front screen and back. However now the wifi signal is really strange, I have to be literally sat on the router and its really slow?? Both at my mums and sisters it was fine before the repair and on ios 5.

The repairers failed to send the Sim card slot back so it hasn't got its own network, or that part of the casinng covered, would this effect signal on wifi??

Any help would be appreciated :D
Welcome to the forum! The missing SIM card holder shouldn't affect Wi-Fi. Several things often help improve Wi-Fi connections on the iPad. Simply shutting down apps and restarting the iPad can fix most issues.

Quit Apps: To quit an app double press the Home button and the Multitasking Tray will appear at the bottom of the screen revealing all of the open apps. Tap and hold any app icon until all of the icons start jiggling. A red circle with a "-" (minus sign) will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle and the app will close.

If that doesn't do it, try restarting the iPad and if that still doesn't do it try resetting it.

Restart the iPad: Press and hold down the Home button on the front of the iPad for few seconds until the red slider appears, slide this across to shut the iPad down. Restart the iPad by pressing the power button on the top until the Apple logo appears.

Reset the iPad: You can do this by pressing the Home button and the Sleep/wake button on the top the iPad's case and holding them down together for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. The iPad should then reset itself. The boot up process takes a few minutes and then the iPad should be responsive again. More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Distance from the Wi-Fi router can impact the signal as well as interference from other electronics including microwaves, wireless home phones, cell phones, etc. Walls and floors with metallic studs can have a negative impact on Wi-Fi signals as well. Sometimes moving the Wi-Fi modem/router closer to where you use the iPad most can help.

Another tip is to reboot your network and everything on it including your modem, router, etc. while your iPad is off. Turn your iPad back on and see if the connection has improved.

The iPad works best with the WPA or WPA2 security protocol. Setting the modem/router to WPA or WPA2 will often improve and stabilize Wi-Fi connections.

Lastly you can try deleting the network connection on your iPad and then go back and set it up again. Settings > Wi-Fi > tap on your network > Forget this Network.

Here's some more info if none of that works...

iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/30525-checklist-troubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-2-forum/38535-slowing-i-pad2-2.html#post291682

Hope that helps! Others may have some more suggestions.

Welcome again and enjoy the forum!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome.

Try a couple of things, go to the settings app and wifi then pick your router out and choose forget this network. Now, reboot your router. When it has rebooted reconnect your iPad to your router in the settings app again. Hopefully this will help but if not then let us know.

There is lots of good advice and info on here plus plenty of members all too willing to help with any problems.

Remember, search is your friend.......and please don't forget to read the rules http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

These are the hacking section rules for all you jail breakers (and would be jail breakers) http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2892-hacking-section-rules-please-read.html

We also have an app for this forum. The link to download the app is: Discussion Forum for iPad Users for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

If you have other Apple products or are interested in other Apple kit then why not join our sister forum too at http://www.appleforums.net/

Finally, if you still haven't had enough, how about a video explaining about our other forums (note:you may want to play this at half speed but hey, why shouldn't Phil be excited about our forums!)

The Archangel

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Victoriaann502

Victoriaann502

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, just tried the deleting the network I'm on and switching it off. No joy. I always had full signal strength throughout my sister house!! Is it possible that the attenna hasn't been put back in correctly or is damaged and this is causing the problems??

I'm just doing some app updates and it's taking forever, took minutes prior the screen and back cover repair???

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, just tried the deleting the network I'm on and switching it off. No joy. I always had full signal strength throughout my sister house!! Is it possible that the attenna hasn't been put back in correctly or is damaged and this is causing the problems??

I'm just doing some app updates and it's taking forever, took minutes prior the screen and back cover repair???
Anything is possible. Try using this app to test your broadband speed and see if it comes somewhere close to what your ISP says you should be getting:

App Store - Speedtest.net Mobile Speed Test

Otherwise, follow the advice above and if none of that works, I'd contact whoever repaired it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Juandpooh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just replaced my digitizer and LCD screen worked fine but I cut my wifi antenia I replaced it and now the LCD screen doesn't work what could be wrong

Most reactions

Latest posts