What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wifi and you tube?

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I can't play you tube on wifi without pausing most of the time. Is there anything I can do to get continous play? This is one of the main reason I got the iPad, thanks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The speed and quality of your WiFi connection are going to be the things that determine how smooth your videos play. If you are not using an 802.11n router, then you are not getting the fastest data transfer rate possible. If your router is 802.11g, then it is time to upgrade!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
also a lot of times youtube just doesn't have the bandwidth for the amount of users viewing videos. it will go slow even if you have a great connection.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the B model, I'll pick up the N model today, it might improve my laptop connection.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the B model, I'll pick up the N model today, it might improve my laptop connection.
This is really old technology. I had an 802.11b router and even streaming audio was choppy at times. You will be amazed at the difference when you install an 802.11n router. Let your wallet be your guide. I have a really cheap D-Link router that was on sale for $20 at Best Buy and it works great! As the price goes up, generally speaking so does signal strength and the coverage area.

Just so you know, there is no reason to spend a lot of money on a router. I live on 3 acres and my router is in the "man cave" in the corner of the house where the red arrow is pointing and I do not have any dropouts anywhere on my property.

ourhouse.jpg

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes you can do all the upgrading that you can think of...DOCSIS 3.0 modem, N-Class router...and you will still have problems with streaming videos.

If that happens, you have to let your provider know that you are having the problem. In most cases this will be a cable provider who has high limits but does not have your account set up for streaming...they have to set it up as if you are using Vonage or some similar service, and then you will stream perfectly.

You might as well face the fact that it might take some talking, too. The first CSR you talk to might not know what you're going off about.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The speed and quality of your WiFi connection are going to be the things that determine how smooth your videos play. If you are not using an 802.11n router, then you are not getting the fastest data transfer rate possible. If your router is 802.11g, then it is time to upgrade!

Not really true. An 802.11g router is capable of 54Mbps transfers. The fastest home internet connection is cable, which almost never goes over 25Mbps.

An 802.11g router is even capable of full speed transfers even over a T3 line which is 45Mbps.

If you are getting slow downloads, the problem is most likely your internet provider or your modem. Run a speed test to find out the truth.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It could possibly be your router. Do you have a WiFi notebook to test it on? The other possibility is your ISP. I have a 5 year old B+G linksys and I am using the old WEP encryption because I have the router connected to several Wireless Ethernet bridges around the house and I have no issues with YouTube.

Are you using the App or m.youtube.com ?

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, I went to best buy yesterday and and kind of confuse which one I need. The N router comes in three categories and price range. I was going to get the Netgear N600 for $149 and it covers everything from no interference, hd video steaming over 300 Mbps etc. Is this a good buy? I really don't know much about this stuff. I always buy the higher end product just be sure of a better performance.
My other option is get my router from Direct tv for additional $1 a month. Not sure though how good is their router. What do you think?
Btw, I'm using the m.you tube.

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was going to get the Netgear N600 for $149... Is this a good buy?
It is... for BestBuy! For home use, there is absolutely no reason to spend that much on a wireless router. While I am sure you will get very good results from this router, they have many to chose from in the $40-50 range that will do fine for the "average" consumer. But if you really like that router, Staples has it for $79.99!

My other option is get my router from Direct tv for additional $1 a month. Not sure though how good is their router. What do you think?
Without knowing anything about this router, it would be hard to say how well it would work for you. At $1 a month, it sounds like a heck of a deal, considering you could "rent" it for nearly 4 years for the same amount of money as buying one.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow, for nearly half a price, I'll check it out. As for the rental one, I could try it out and cancel anytime if it doesn't perform well.

Most reactions

Latest posts