Wi-Fi problems

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by iPadIt, Oct 1, 2010.

1. iPadIt

iPadIt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi, new to the forum. Hope you can help.

I just got an iPad (Wi-Fi only) two days ago and since then I've had constant Wi-Fi problems when it comes out of Stand-by.
    I either have to turn it off completely or "Renew Lease" in order to fix it. But that gets annoying.

Should I exchange it for another unit or is there a fix for this?

I'm using a Netgear Router and it works perfectly on my laptops and anyone's laptop that come in here.

Thanks

2. markwebb

markwebb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Likewise, I have to constantly reset network settings, click "forget this network", re-boot, turn on Airplane Mode, etc. One continuous loop and most of the time it won't connect.

It occurs either coming out of standby or just when I power up. Have only connected twice in the past week on my network.

Everything else connects to my network (including Droid, Laptops, desktops, etc) but the IPAD. I use WPA/PSK network settings.

My IPAD software is the latest 3.2.2.

I can connect to open hotspots for the most part but sometimes experience the same problem.

#2 markwebb, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  3. deckyon

deckyon
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It is possible, if you are having the same issues on the same wifi network, try flashing the BIOS on the wifi router. Especially if it is an older Linksys. Also, you could assign a static dhcp ip address - look at your router's help files.

If you are having this same issue on multiple wifi routers, I don't know. Personally, I have not had any issues with the wifi. I am on an un-jailbroken 3.2.2 iPad and connecting to a newer Linksys router.

4. iPadIt

iPadIt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have a new Netgear modem and all my computers are doing very well on it. I have the same problems when going to a friend's house.

I returned my first iPad and am now going to return my second one, it's even worse than my first one.
    Even when I connect I constantly get knocked offline so often it's annoying and there is nothing I can do other than reboot the device. After that I connect again but just a few minutes into it I'm knocked offline again I have to reboot.
    The signal is reading full and very strong signal.

I've been searching the internet about this and it seems to be pretty common amongst other iPad owners.
    Just enter "ipad wifi problems" in Google.

I think I'll wait for Gen 2 to come out. May give the iPad thing another go then.

Thanks for your help

5. deckyon

deckyon
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    It would be interesting to find out what routers everyone is using. I have not personally had any issue with the wifi with sleep mode and ip refresh. I use multiple wifi locations on a daily basis. The only ones I have issues with are locations where my laptop also has issues, so I cannot blame the iPad.

Have you tried setting a static address for the iPad on the router?

6. Arcaanon

Arcaanon
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My ipad just generally seems to work slowly, compared to the computer, in respect of connecting to internet. Web sites load slowly and fail (I hate safari, but maybe it's not safari's fault?) because "server did not respond" after partial loading. Youtube clips don't show, or fail, etc. Any ideas to help?

7. iPadIt

iPadIt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Arcaanon your problem sounds weird.
    Would love to learn more.
    Anyway I returned my second iPod today.
    Will wait until OS 4 is out and see what happens then or I may just wait for second generation. I doubt it's much more than four months at this point.
    I love the device and miss my Chess app. Being able to lay in bed at night and play chess was a great thing!

8. Mike_73

Mike_73
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    No problems on my side. I'm using hotspots in cafes and have the mobile hotspot from huawei e5. I was having problems sometimes when sharing my neighbors internet connection (which is the reason I switched to the mobile hotspot), but I think that was due to range problems. I sometimes noticed on that somewhat weak connection, that it makes a difference how you hold your iPad, but I guess that's already common knowledge.

9. I-pdiddy

I-pdiddy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Wifi issues. Way for apple to sell extended warranty?

I started experiencing the same issues as what many of you have described and when I called apple the rep informed me that my phone support had just ran out a mere 2 days before and that if I was to receive any assistance over the phone that I would have to purchase extended warranty or search the web for my own fix. I think that the antenna for the wifi is defective. Up until now I thought the iPad was the greatest thing since sliced bread now I am ready to throw it out the window. I have to practically set it on top of my router to get it to respond. The company I work for is looking to do a mass purchase but I will have to advise them of my experience, pathetic support, and have them hold off until I have found a resolution. How is it that this is not all over in the media? :confused::mad:

10. iPadIt

iPadIt
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    " I think that the antenna for the wifi is defective. "

First the iPhone has major antenna problems now the iPad too.