What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

why wont google open itvplayer webpage?

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
when I google itvplayer I got the usual list of options but whatever one I click on I am instantly redirected to app store!
Any way to stop this? I do not want the app for itvplayer as it insists I enable location on ipad ( & I dont want location enabled!)
Isnt there a "no thanks" button somewhere in apps?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is strange. The only thing I can think of it that the site is sending you to the app store. I don't think this is an iPad issue, but something that particular website is doing. I get the same behavoir if I type the url into the address bar in Safari. It must detect the ipad and send you off to whacky land. Stupid.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
any ideas how to prevent this? or.. ANYONE else? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Im SO mad at this thing!

Please don't use foul language on a family site

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Second time I've typed this!
I'm not early bothered about the asking for location, I'm wanting to know why I cannot open a webpage I decide on!
BTW I'm sorry if I typed swear words, I don't remember doing so tho!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As I explained to you, this has nothing to do with iPad. That website is redirecting to the AppStore. When I go to that website on my android tablet, it redirects to the google play store. Nothing you, I or anyone other than the website designers can do about that.

It would appear that anything different than what you are use to is causing you to blow your cool. You won't last long on iOS of you continue this way. It might be best to cut your losses. The surface pro or surface rt might be a better fit. Or one of the windows 8 tablets by Samsung or acer.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why this is required for the ipad when it's not required fora PC?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why this is required for the ipad when it's not required fora PC?

Ask the website developers why they programmed it this way.....they clearly want people to get the app, which is not needed for a PC.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
If you want to watch itv on iPad you need to use the app. If you don't want to use the app then you need to accept that you can't watch itv.

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
One thing I forgot to explain was that when on the Internet it automatically sets your location with your ip address, so if your in the Granada region (North West England) then this is the site it takes you too, when on the iPad using the app, it requires your location to do exactly the same.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just checked this for you, it's because the itv Internet site uses flash, PC's can the iPad however cannot use flash, it diverts you to the app as this plays all itv programmes bypassing the use of flash.

I hope this answers your question.

My android tablet will play flash, yet the site still redirects to the Google play store. You can go to many websites that use flash but not get redirected. This is just how the set things up. If you come on a tablet, you get redirected to the app they want you to use.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can probably beat the redirect by using a third party browser that can mimic a desktop browser. Both the Atomic and iCab Mobile browser have settings to do this. However that won't solve the iPad's inability to play Flash.

The Puffin browser can also mimic a desktop, and gets around the Flash limitation by using remote servers to translate the site and re-display it on the iPad. This method is a bit unpredictable. You can never be sure if a site will behave well, or the video stream smoothly.

All in all, the app is still the better way to go; which is why they are pushing it. But if you are in the right location area (IP wise), in the U.S., and willing to spend a few dollars on the browser (there's a free one with a 14 day trial period), you can give this a try. It may work, or not.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, I have now found out I can use the app without enabling location. I just type in a postcode. this is actually a great advantage for me as I can now watch ITV1 which isn't possible in Scotland unless you have Sky! ( we have to watch STV usually!)

Most reactions

Latest posts