What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why my iphone 5 and ipad does not sync all photos via icloud?

youngaviator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello! Im a new member here. I was trying to sync all my photos from ipad to iphone, but am having trouble. Selected pictures were retrieved from the ipad.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Photo Stream does not sync photos. It makes photos that are taken on one device available on your other devices. The difference is that photos that get to your iPad or iPhone by methods other than being taken and saved on the camera roll will not get copied to Photo Stream.

iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Photo Stream does not sync photos. It makes photos that are taken on one device available on your other devices. The difference is that photos that get to your iPad or iPhone by methods other than being taken and saved on the camera roll will not get copied to Photo Stream.

iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

Not sure if I understand what you are saying. For example, I got a photo emailed to me. I saved it on my mini. I now see it in my photo stream on my iPad 3. It seems as if you are saying that shouldn't happen?!?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Poorly worded. Sorry.

Anything that you save to the camera roll will go to Photo Stream. Albums synced through iTunes will not. Photos saved to the camera roll before you turn on Photo Stream will not. I'm not sure what will happen with photos imported via a camera connection kit.

Syncing tries to keep everything the same in two or more places. Photo Stream, by contrast, only makes new stuff available in more than one place.

It's a subtle difference, but it makes a profound difference in how it behaves, and what it's useful for.

If someone wants to have access to recently taken/saved photos on all their devices, it works well.

If someone wants the same set of photos on all their devices, Photo Stream is a poor choice. A third part solution (or syncing throuhg iTunes) will work better.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Poorly worded. Sorry.

Anything that you save to the camera roll will go to Photo Stream. Albums synced through iTunes will not. Photos saved to the camera roll before you turn on Photo Stream will not.

Syncing tries to keep everything the same in two or more places. Photo Stream, by contrast, only makes new stuff available in more than one place.

It's a subtle difference, but it makes a profound difference in how it is used.

Ah....I see now what you are saying. Yes, using photo stream is NOT the same as a sync.

But photostream can be maddening. I've let mine get out of control. I guess I need to turn it off and do some major house cleaning. If you leave it on, it seems impossible to rid yourself of any photo. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've left it on for a long while, yes there can be quite a few, especially if you do a lot of screen shots like I do.

I make it a habit to clean up my PhotoStream every so often, so it does not become a major chore, or require me to turn it off all together. I'd rather not let it max out. I have better use for my devices' storage space.

For a clean sweep, you can clear it via icloud.com. Click on your name at the top right and choose Advanced from the settings dialog. You can reset the Photo Stream. That won't delete them from the device, but it will prevent them from coming back after you turn Photo Stream back on, on the device.

Last edited:

KookyKathy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new to forum- how do I post a question?

I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on changing the keyboard in ipad 2 where it always is showing the new keyboard in all apps.
Thanks!

KookyKathy

Most reactions

Latest posts