Where has ability to show older emails gone?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by 1adam, Apr 1, 2014.

1. 1adam

1adam
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone help me locate the "Show X messages" menu option on the latest iOS 7.1 for iPad 2 using Gmail via the standard mail app?
    I'm trying to help someone with a problem via phone (I can't see the iPad) where they can only see e-mails dated since last weekend ever since we did a full factory reset in the apple store.

It seems that the usual 'Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Show' option has moved since the screenshot below that I found online
    How to Show More Emails in the Mail App on Your iPad - Solve Your Tech
    show-more-messages-ipad-4.jpg

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a Yahoo account and I just checked how far back I can go and I went all the way back to my earliest email from back in November 2005. I've never seen any setting that let's you choose how many messages to display. Maybe Yahoo is set up differently.

3. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This option was removed with iOS 7. There's also no option in the Gmail account settings to show more emails.
    If the account is set up correctly for the app, it should show all the emails that can be seen in a browser as well.

They should try to delete the account in Settings and reinstall it, using this: image-2733373799.jpg

#3 J. A., Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Addition: if the account is set up as Exchange account, they will find this option in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars - the Gmail account:

image-1239181602.jpg

And if they tap it, there's this:

image-702881998.jpg