Where do the Newstand mags go on my PC after Syncing?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Tobo, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Tobo

Tobo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty much all in the title really.

When I Download a magazine and then Sync, it transfers to my PC yes?

But where?

How do i make a backup of the PC sync'd magazine. What if my PC were to fail?

Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Tobo

2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,975 / 1
    When you sync with the PC your Newsstand apps may get backed up; depending on how the app developer set it up and your sync settings. They to not get synced. The difference is that a backup is something you can use to restore your entire iPad to a previous state. A sync saves individual media files.

Since there is no method of reading the magazine on the computer, a sync would be of limited use. On the other hand the same is true of the iBooks library, and that does sync.

At any rate, the short answer is your magazines in the Newsstand app don't' sync. You won't find them in iTunes, or on the PC in a readable format. There is nothing to backup on your PC, except the iTunes backup file itself.

Most magazine apps have a library tab or page where it is possible to re-download old issues. This is how you would get your old issues back if they were lost.

3. MrPear

MrPear iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to backup all my magazines inside the Newsstand.
    I can't imagine we can't do that!

Does a sync iTunes do that?
    Because I don't see the newsstand.ipa file. For example my "Angry Birds" applications is save on "Angry Birds 1.1.0.ipa".

If I use the program "DiskAid" I see the following folder on my iPad 3:

\USB Key
    \Music & Videos
    \Photos
    \Data
    \Apps
    \Files System

I try to searh where are my magazines in all these folders but I don't see them
    And since they are actually on my iPad 3, they must be somewhere.

I DON'T WANT to download all time my 200 MB magazines each time I deleted them because I need
    space on my little 32 GB iPad.

So WHERE are the magazines inside Newsstand.
    PLEASE SAY NOTHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW.

READ THE QUESTION !

------------
    Update.
    Ok I find where they are using "DiskAid

For example the free "The Red Bulletin" is in \Red Bulletin "folder" (Red Bulletin 1.0.20.ipa)

When you look with DiskAid inside this "folder" you will see many subfolders.

If you look \Red Bulletin\Library\Caches\Newsstand, the files are there.
    But unfortunatly it's not pdf files or kind of that.

It's more divided in many subfolder with a lot of html, xml c**p.
    It's like "sheet" are in many folders.

But at least I think saving this folder save magazine.
    But I don't know what append if we take them back from PC and put in iPad.
    Maybe I will try later...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,975 / 1
    Each magazine is a separate app. Newsstand is about half app and half folder. It organizes your magazine apps, but it does not store their data. That will be done in the magazine app itself.

It is up to the app developer to decide if their magazines can be backed up or not. Most do.

Go to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage, and choose your device from the Backups list. You will see a list of all your apps, including magazines. It will show you how much information the app is storing, and give you the option to backup that information, or not.

Additionally, most magazine apps permit you to re-download back issues that you've already purchased, either individually or by subscription. This is actually the better way to retrieve your missing magazines, since you can pick which ones you want to re-read; and it does not require restoring the entire iPad to get them.

5. cheeeetahh

cheeeetahh iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a similar issue-- I'm trying to send a magazine that I bought to my brother to read. I'm not sure how to get it to him. When I went to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage, I see the magazine app, but it doesn't have an option for storing. Actually none of my apps show an option for storing, just the size. Since NONE of my apps is showing the option for storing, I'm wondering if it's for another reason *other* than the developer not allowing them to get stored. I have an iPad2, it's currently not connected to anything, and I don't have a MAC (but my PC has iTunes). What would be the best way to attempt to get the magazine to my brother?

6. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +93 / 0
    Send him the link for it on iTunes store. He can download it directly. Why get yourself in a frazzle? :)

7. Tinga

Tinga iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try to use a simple app

In order to make it easy not going to all these system files etc download PhoneStick. it manages all your data on an iOS device and a PC so that you can transfer, upload in both ways. Works like a charm for my iPad 4 and Windows 8 tablet.