What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Ipad2 WiFi Issue

McNewton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read about wifi connectivity issues with the Ipad2 and I ran into a weird similar problem today.

I was in a business office with an open wifi connection. My ipod touch connected just fine. However, my ipad2 showed it was connected to the network with a strong signal strength but would not connect to the internet or let me retrieve mail. When i compared the IP address and Subnet mask from my ipod touch and ipad2, I saw different settings. I tried all the recommended fixes (e.g., reset network, forget network, reboot, turn off Safari auto-fill, clear cache, cookies, etc.) with no luck.

I went to see the office's general manager and he also had an ipad2. He was connecting to the router just fine with the same settings as my ipod touch, so it is not the router causing the problem. Why is my ipad2 not working but his does work on the same network? Why am I getting different network settings than his ipad2 and my ipod touch?

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - please don't be offended - but just check that your iPad is trying to join the correct network. The iPad has a great WiFi antenna and can oft times pull in WiFi networks from elsewhere. If it 'accidentally' pulled in an open network from, say, the Starbucks next to you, then - of course - you wouldn't be able to retrieve your email. We've had similar problems from several Members

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have read about wifi connectivity issues with the Ipad2 and I ran into a weird similar problem today.

I was in a business office with an open wifi connection. My ipod touch connected just fine. However, my ipad2 showed it was connected to the network with a strong signal strength but would not connect to the internet or let me retrieve mail. When i compared the IP address and Subnet mask from my ipod touch and ipad2, I saw different settings. I tried all the recommended fixes (e.g., reset network, forget network, reboot, turn off Safari auto-fill, clear cache, cookies, etc.) with no luck.

I went to see the office's general manager and he also had an ipad2. He was connecting to the router just fine with the same settings as my ipod touch, so it is not the router causing the problem. Why is my ipad2 not working but his does work on the same network? Why am I getting different network settings than his ipad2 and my ipod touch?

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks.

OK - you'll obviously have a different IP address, that's to be expected. Another suggestion - it's difficult because there are so many possible reasons. At my work we do MAC address filtering - in other words, only computers whose MAC address is registered by the IT Manager are allowed to join the network. Does your business employ MAC address filtering?

Another possibility - again, at our place of work, we have a proxy server and all Internet connections must go through that proxy server. See if the other iPad that you mentioned has a proxy server set up. Go to 'Settings', 'WiFi', then touch the '>' arrow that's to the right of the name of your company network (which should also have a tick mark there). Do you and the other iPad have proxy network settings established there? If so, you'll need to enter the address of the proxy server on your iPad. Many (most) businesses use proxy servers as a security step and to avoid employees accessing inappropriate web sites.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts