What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Voice dictation

Camingo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have just got a new iPad. Cannot find voice dictation feature- no mike on my keyboard.Any thoughts?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try Dragon Dictation from the App Store, there are others. There is a mic built in, otherwise you can also plug in third party mics either those built into headphones or pro mics via the apple port.

Eden7c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem wonder if it's not language related? I chose French as system language, the onscreen keyboard shows up in French and no microphone icon...

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Eden7c said:
I have the same problem wonder if it's not language related? I chose French as system language, the onscreen keyboard shows up in French and no microphone icon...

What app are you using? As I understand it, there is no mic icon unless it is app specific, ie Dragon Dictation

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi to you both and welcome to the Forum!

You should have the microphone on any keyboard If you have the new iPad. Look on the back of the iPad and you will find a model number, google this and it will tell you what iPad you do have.

image-1590265664.jpg

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Eden7c

iPF Noob
Reaction score

New IPAD (3) + on-screen keyboard is the related problem.

Found my answer and solved the problem in another forum thought I'd post it here so that it can help others...

It was indeed language related... I had to:

1. In international keyboard select an American one (I can toggle between both now) this made the microphone icon re-appear.

2. But I still did not have a "Dictation" toggle under keyboard, to get that one to re-appear I had to set the operating system language back to English.

Kind of makes sense once enabled I was able to dictate with pretty good results as long as I did it in English... Quite impressive actually.

In French? Forget that lol! (hope it will be available soon though)

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for reporting this and it makes sense too that only English is supported.

Eden7c

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey...

I had second thoughts...

Since it's now activated... What would happen if I reverted to French as a language?...

(Rollling drum) Ta da DAM! "Dictée" - Dictation option is still there and activated!

I officially pronounce SIRI as being bilingual... Or should I say multi-lingual? I read somewhere that more languages are supported wild guess that Spanish and German are...

Cheers!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, really, I wonder how many languages are supported?

Can others out there with the new iPad report languages that you know are supported. We may be able to get a list here on this.

OP
C

Camingo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Eden7c. Mike icon now on my keyboard. However, dictation accuracy is only moderately accurate. Perhaps it will improve with use.

QUOTE=Eden7c;509242]
HTML:
New
IPAD (3) + on-screen keyboard is

Found my answer and solved the problem in another forum thought I'd post it here so that it can help others...

It was indeed language related... I had to:

1. In international keyboard select an American one (I can toggle between both now) this made the microphone icon re-appear.

2. But I still did not have a "Dictation" toggle under keyboard, to get that one to re-appear I had to set the operating system language back to English.

Kind of makes sense once enabled I was able to dictate with pretty good results as long as I did it in English... Quite impressive actually.

In French? Forget that lol! (hope it will be available soon though)[/QUOTE]

Most reactions

Latest posts